PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Options
    I think that is what I like so much about the people on this thread. We are all very supportive of each other no matter what background or circumstances we are all from. It's a personal path I think, some people find letting go of stuff harder than others, some people have kids, some people are well off and some people are poorer, but we all get along very well. :)

I don't think there has even been one argument on this thread has there?:A I've been following for a while even before I was posting as I recall.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I bought a white table recently and was thinking about looking for some placemats in the CS or the £1 shop so the table doesn't mark. I then thought of my Christmas placemats and table cloth. I keep them upstairs in a box. I went to look for them and the placemats are cream and the tablecloth is a dark red. My curtains in my living room are dark red so they do match.

Why am I keeping them for one day out of the year when I could use them whenever I want to?! I am making a veggie roast dinner later so I will use them then.:)
  • carrielovesfanta
    Options
    Another power tool leaving the house today via a Facebook sale.

The tools aren't ours, we are selling them on behalf of the in laws, but at the moment, the back of my dining room looks like a shed :(

I'd just about managed to get it to click too! Dining room is a very difficult room in this house. It's long and relatively narrow. It's a rented house so there is too much furniture in there as well, as well as a lot of the fixtures not being to my taste.

However, I got some gorgeous duck egg curtains from ebay, and suddenly the whole room made more sense; the colour set off the golds and woods as opposed to dragging the light out of the room.

I can't wait to try and finish it once it's not a temporary shed!
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Fen interesting question- I think it says that you are open to compromise and would rather have a functioning room than an empty one. Your relative would rather have things perfect or not at all. Presumably you would feel joyful at having free furniture while she found it more joyful not to have mismatched or second hand stuff. I'm not making judgements- each of us is different and that (for me) is why MK works so well. Nobody dictates how many pairs of trousers or tea towels you have, you decide.

Carrieloves, isn't it surprising how a change of colour can 'tweak' everything else. Well, it's always a surprise to me, I'm not very good with choosing these things!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Polly - and for those of us on the MK 'journey' how a very small tweak can result in deep joy, often on a daily basis with the knicker drawers!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • minnie2
    Options
    Thanks elona kids have just vacated the premises.....

So stuff you are emotionally attached to does she say to slow get rid of those too? I had crap time as a kid and my sister who are a lot younger than me i have all the things they ever made for me at school etc.loads of bday card etc.last cards my grandad wrote to me etc.i have boxes of the stuff.i hate having stuff dont want to let that stuff go.my mum is a hoarder and ive gone the opposite but the stuff has accumulated with the children.i went from 3 bed house with loads of storage that was empty to a 3 bed bungalow with no storage so i have had to buy wardrobes etc. Stuff needs to go!!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • Sj62
    Sj62 Posts: 56 Forumite
    edited 17 September 2017 at 10:33AM
    Options
    fen wrote: »
    (((((((((Fen))))))))))

Poverty isn't anything like as glamourous as elegant minimalism, is it?

I remember having only one pair of shoes. The right one leaked badly, out in any modest amount of rain and my sock was soaked from mid-foot to toe. Do you have any idea of how often it rains in Scotland in winter? I was soooo glad when I finally had a pair of non-leaky shoes (£3 on sale).

Being very poor means lots and lots of grubby little compromises and dodges and efforts to hold everything together whilst still not slipping below a certain standard of appearance (cleanliness, grooming etc) which could see you excluded from everyday society. Plus getting ill a lot because your home is too cold and your diet isn't great and often feeling a bit feeble because you need a few good square meals........

I was chatting with a pal, a nice fellow exactly half my age (he's in his mid-twenties). We agreed that the people at the very top of society, and the people at the very bottom, can pretty much do what they like but folks in the middle have to hustle to be respectable - we then went off to womble some fruit from a derelict and un-tenanted allotment (feeling guilty as hell but we did it anyway).:rotfl:

i don't know how but I had forgotten about walking to school in the rain with a leaky shoe and how miserable it was - also in rainy Scotland - and having to wear the same school blazer till the sleeve ends couldn't be mended any more. And the Kagoul that quietly steamed all day. It now makes sense of my CS shoe addiction and all the jackets in the cupboard. I am so thankful that we never went hungry but we had damp and ice on the inside of the windows and one pair f shoes. In fact I had to wear the shoes so long that my toes curled over because the shoes were either too big and wouldn't staton or so outgrown that they pressed on the point of the toe.

People who can pntificate about minimalism never seem to have gone without
  • minnie2
    Options
    We only had a fire in the living room and no heating anywhere else - so I'd take my clothes into the living room on a cold morning to get dressed. The inside of our windows had ice on them and the windowsills outside had long icicles hanging down. Parts of the inside had never been boarded and plastered, so were just painted brick - they were especially chilly! Hot water came from the immersion, which was limited - so we'd mainly have strip washes in the sink and wash our hair in the sink, mainly with cold water - a kettle of hot doesn't go far to get all that done

Greent this is us now!!! :-( with two children under 3.we bought the bungalow knowing it need up dating it still had two prong plugs wasnt earthed no plumbing etc but they also hid things from us like the solid fuel back boiler had been condemned so no heating and it needs new roof and all pipe work was lead so we couldnt drink the water either.neither of the front doors locked and all the wooden windows were sealed shut.so much more expense than we had the budget for.i bought before i was pregnant with 2nd and wasnt planning 2nd but we bought in may and moved January to this realisation and then i was 6months pregnant. Sometimes the kitchen frustrates me as its tiny and i actually couldnt fit in it in last few weeks of pregnancy but we are hoping to save for extension so no point in spending money on it when it needs knocking down its a single skinned out building that you have to step down into.but hopefully if i use this system i can find more space!! Weve added more duvets too until chimney is swept for the fire it doesnt heat the whole bungalow so two rooms are very cold and boiling water on hob us familiar in this house for a bath its the old small water tank weve replaced the bath as i also got wedged in that it was a tiny one and so the hot water doesnt go far.its not straight forward and everything seems to need planning but finger crossed itll be worth it in the end.

Right so now going to watch you tube videos......and take some before pics
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 September 2017 at 9:56PM
    Options
    Just catching up, greent can I please come and live in your long for the winter ? It sounds wonderful. And I can play with some of the lego too to keep it out the way

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I used up the last of a bubble bath and a handwash and a lip balm this morning. I threw away a sliver of a bar of soap as I've had it ages. I have a rose scented soap to use instead.

I'm going to use up most of the veggies in the fridge today for Sunday lunch. I will drink up the last half of the bottle of the red wine while I'm cooking it, lol.:D

I have to buy more fresh veg from the market tomorrow along with some more fresh ginger and I wanted to buy a journal as I wanted to start journaling daily. Hopefully there will be one in the £ shop.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure