Tales from The Shire

Options

Comments

• janey_j
    Options
    Hi fortune, just wanted to let you know how fantastic your diary is. I found myself thinking how good it would be for myself and my husband to retire in the future to somewhere so lovely like “The Shire”. Then I suddenly realised I already do, I live in Shropshire too!!!! We are already in our final home, just working hard to get the finances right. Thanks you made me appreciate just what we have already have.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That's so important! And when it's about the big stuff, like the right county, wonderful :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    FDawg has redeemed himself by being very funny today. He has started hiding his treats around the house and then acts surprised and delighted when he finds them again. He tried to dig a hole in the dining room floor boards today to bury a chew :rotfl:
    Fortune x
    Funny Fortune. Funny :D
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    maddiemay wrote: »
    In the south of the shire we seem be missing the worst of snow and rain. Sunday was evil, we had both. OH has taken Miss Border Collie for a road walk a couple of times when the field they walk on was at it's soggiest, she doesn't seem to mind and it helps keep her claws down and her leg and feet muscles toned up.

WI meal sounds good, hope that you have a good time this evening too:D

Had to grin when you mentioned waking FDawg, sometimes this one is so fast asleep she has to be gently shaken to wake her, my revenge for the occasional times she bounds up onto me in bed because she thinks it will be play time if she can get me up:D

I don't mind the snow Maddie - it's the muddy aftermath that bothers me. Our lanes are muddier than the fields at the moment and many are flooded. It's mud, mud, glorious mud everywhere up our end :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    beanielou wrote: »
    Glad that you had a lovely night.

Thank you Beanie - it was the first time I'd gone out for a proper girlie get together and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    janey_j wrote: »
    Hi fortune, just wanted to let you know how fantastic your diary is. I found myself thinking how good it would be for myself and my husband to retire in the future to somewhere so lovely like “The Shire”. Then I suddenly realised I already do, I live in Shropshire too!!!! We are already in our final home, just working hard to get the finances right. Thanks you made me appreciate just what we have already have.

That's very kind Janey. I am loving the Shire and we haven't explored a fraction of what's available yet.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 87% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    That's so important! And when it's about the big stuff, like the right county, wonderful :)

It seems very popular with our family and friends Karma - we have a list of people waiting to visit :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Funny Fortune. Funny :D

It was DIA but I'm not laughing now.....

Fortune x
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 31 January 2018 at 9:39PM
    Options
    Well I've completely lost track of where I am with everything.

We had a nice weekend with our visitors. Unfortunately, it was a bit of a mixed experience for them as they are house hunting and lost a bidding war whilst they were with us on Saturday :( I felt so bad for them and very relieved not to be going through a move again myself. We spent most of February's fun money but Mr F is away a lot of the month so we're unlikely to need any before next pay day.

I have checked the budget and reconciled the accounts. All balances, there's just not much to play with. I have listed a few items on the Bay to try to up the funds a little and I saved half of the grocery budget this week so that helps.

My sister called to say she is splitting up with her partner - this is very good news as he is not a nice man. She has found a flat to rent but has nothing to furnish it with - not even a teaspoon. I would like to help her out so may gift her some J0hn L3wi$ vouchers we are due to receive soon.

The door company came out yesterday to confirm measurements for the doors to the barn. We thought this had already happened :mad: Anyhow, it will be about two weeks before they're ready.

FDawg found a gap in the fence around the field and went exploring on his own :eek: He was gone for 5 hours :eek: After trudging around the surrounding flooded fields by torchlight and knocking on the doors of all the local farms I resorted to standing at the bedroom window and calling and whistling for him until I was hoarse. Eventually I heard a frustrated whimper from a field bordering ours and found him running up and down the boundary unable to get back through the stock fences. He was a complete mud monster and I had to give him a full bath outside in the howling wind and rain at 10 o'clock at night :( To add insult to injury he must have eaten something that disagreed with him whilst on the run and my dining room floor took the brunt of it :(

I was hoping this was a one off but he disappeared again this morning whilst out with Mr F although, this time, he did turn up within ten minutes. Mr F and I have walked the boundary and found two escape tunnels which we have now blocked up. FDawg is not happy about this and has taken to patrolling the boundary looking for other opportunities :mad:

I think we may have been too lenient with him letting him have the run of things. Tomorrow I'm starting a new regime and he'll be having an hour of intensive training. That should keep him out of trouble :rotfl:

On the up side, he does now seem to be sleeping through the night. We did have a short barking session last night but there were very strong winds and I think he'd heard something being blown around the courtyard.

Blimey, is being a dog owner always such hard work?

Hope you're week's going well.

Fortune x
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,578 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    OOPs to the dog.
    In my previous life I had two cairns but boy they were hard work.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • VintageHistorian
    Options
    Your poor sister, although at least she's away from someone unpleasant. She could check to see if there's a local British Heart Foundation furniture shop nearby, or an Emmaus (homeless charity that upcycles donated furniture and sells it on). It'll mean she doesn't have much matching stuff, but at least she can pull together the basics relatively quickly.
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Total overpayments in 2021 - £901.28!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oof, thats a mixed bag for you, as well as your weekend guests - hope the intensive training of FDawg helps :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    OOPs to the dog.
    In my previous life I had two cairns but boy they were hard work.

FDawg's not bad really Beanie, I'm just not used to having a dog.
    Your poor sister, although at least she's away from someone unpleasant. She could check to see if there's a local British Heart Foundation furniture shop nearby, or an Emmaus (homeless charity that upcycles donated furniture and sells it on). It'll mean she doesn't have much matching stuff, but at least she can pull together the basics relatively quickly.

Good ideas VH - I think she's just happy to have her own place, even if it doesn't have anything in it :rotfl:
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Oof, thats a mixed bag for you, as well as your weekend guests - hope the intensive training of FDawg helps :)

That's a good way of putting it Karma - it was a very mixed bag :rotfl:

Fortune x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback