Tales from The Shire

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Handbags are interesting, aren't they! When I was catsitting last week, the shyer one of the two cats decided to wriggle *inside* my handbag. I have pictures! I'll put them up on my cat website eventually :):):)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Handbags are interesting, aren't they! When I was catsitting last week, the shyer one of the two cats decided to wriggle *inside* my handbag. I have pictures! I'll put them up on my cat website eventually :):):)

That's so cute Karma :)

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    That was the sound of the last week whizzing by :rotfl:

Mr F has been home for a few days so we've been able to make some progress:
    • I have a spreadsheet showing all our expected pensions and the benefits attached :)
    • we have made a decision about materials for the outbuilding repairs and can agree a start date with the builder
    • I've booked a date for FDawg's one to one training
    • several items on the 'Needed for the House' list have been ticked off
    • I've listed/re-listed some items on the Bay of E

Mr F has scheduled a business meeting at the house tomorrow :eek: And last night he mentioned that his colleagues would be here over lunch time :eek: So today's chores will include cleaning up downstairs and baking a cake for coffee and refreshments. I've suggested a sandwich lunch as that is what they'd have if they were in the office. Mr F says he'll be able to claim the costs :)

Had a few steps back with FDawg on Wednesday :( but he seems to have made a leap forward since. He has had his first pub visit, his first canal walk, his first canal swim :eek::eek::eek: That bit wasn't planned :o He missed his footing and in he went. A scary moment for us but he didn't bat an eyelid and at least now we know he can swim. That camping shower may turn out to be the best thing I've bought all year ;)

Right off to start the cleaning... and to find out what FDawg is up to. It's all gone quiet and this morning he has already stolen a pen and one of Mr F's slippers :rotfl:

Have a good Monday all

Fortune x
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    I have a long list of chores to complete before the end of the week. A quick trip into the market town and then on to the industrial estate should tick off a good few. The others are 'phone calls which I'll tackle tomorrow as Mr F is out for the day and all should be quiet.

My lovely new neighbour is taking me out to a social tonight so I'll have to have a think about the meal plan.

We are going to chance FDawg at a local show on Saturday. It's only down the road so we can always bring him back if it's too much for him. We have guests staying the night so we don't want to give him too much to cope with. He seems much calmer and is getting the hang of how things work here but we still have a long way to go.

It feels very autumnal here now. I looked out of the window one day this week to see hundreds of swallows lined up on the wires and wheeling around the field. It was amazing to see. And sad too as I know they are starting their journey away for the winter.

Right, better get on.

Fortune x
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,361 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Have a good day :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Debtslayer
    Options
    Hi
    Just caught up on your diary
    Congratulations getting your dog!
    Ref dog trainer you've referred to, we also live in the Shire and I'm sure I know which trainer you're referring to and he's fab! :)
    Current Mortgage 01.10.17 £113,513.88
    MFW Start Mortgage: £114,794.64
    Current MED: 2036:eek: Target MED: 2026 ;)
    Overpayment Target for remainder of 2017: £2,000
    Mortgage overpayment savings: £684.80
    MFW No 124 :money:
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    An advert for these came up on my fbook feed - and I immediately thought of you and brizzle, fs :D
    x
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_3_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=flip+flop+socks&sprefix=flipflop%2Caps%2C187&crid=21FX0ZH4ID0IV
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    greent wrote: »

Now there's an idea Greent - although I think my fall from glamour might be sealed by these :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Debtslayer wrote: »
    Hi
    Just caught up on your diary
    Congratulations getting your dog!
    Ref dog trainer you've referred to, we also live in the Shire and I'm sure I know which trainer you're referring to and he's fab! :)

I hope it's him then Debtslayer. I can't wait for his visit. FDawg is progressing but it's three steps forward and two back most of the time. The trainer did warn me it would be like this though when we spoke on the 'phone.
    beanielou wrote: »
    Have a good day :)

Thanks Beanie. You are so good at popping in and supporting people :)

Fortune x
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    ... I popped in with an update :o

The good:
    • our builder has ordered the materials for the outbuilding repair and work should start in the next 3 to 4 weeks. It will probably take a further 3 to 4 weeks to complete so we may be finished before Christmas, weather permitting. We'll then be able to move our attic stuff from the annex and start getting that together for B&B
    • a few items have sold on the Bay of E
    • we have logs and a log store and have tried out the log burner :j It's taking the edge off throughout the house so we can postpone putting the heating on for a bit longer
    • FDawg is progressing. He's come so far in just a few weeks and so have I as a new dog owner. There are still some key things to iron out but I am trying different techniques and some seem to be working
    • with all the extra walking I've lost 5lbs :j

And the not so good:
    • I have exhausted the budget for September and October :o
    • Mr F will be away for most of the rest of the year :(
    • having to take care of FDawg on my own is tying me to the house more than I'd like.

What I'm going to do about it:
    • I've been researching dog sitters today. Having someone who could pop in for an hour or so when needed would be a great help. There are a couple of people advertising but no reviews are available for them. Any recommendations would be most welcome. Or if there is anyone in my area (North Shropshire) who'd be interested do contact me. It seems the going rate is £10 per hour.
    • sell stuff. We have an annex full of things and some of it should bring in some money
    • prioritise spending. There's a lot on the need and want lists and I'm just going to have to be patient.

I'm being very lazy today and ignoring most of my to do list...

...not even sorry.

Have a great day all

Fortune x
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hope you find someone Fortune. I think you're right to want reviews. When my brother and his wife were out all day and got a puppy, they left him with a sitter during the day, but now they think the sitter has created some behavioural problems for him. What about the vet that you're using for him? Do they have recommendations? When I had my cats, the elder one got diabetes, and I couldn't ask a catsitting service to do the injections (when I was on holiday), so I paid a nurse at the practice to do the catsitting and the injections, it was a really good arrangement.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure