PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Afternoon everyone,

I've made a fish pie for dinner tonight. I came across a few odd sized pieces of fish when I was defrosting the freezers yesterday so decided to turn them into a fish pie. There was enough for two portions, so one portion already going back into my nice tidy freezers. I will have that sometime next week.

I've just had a tuna mayo sandwich for lunch, and scrambled egg on toast for breakfast.

I need to get some more plastic storage boxes next week. The ones that I have got fit nicely into the outside chest freezer, and I have used them to help organise the freezer. They are easy for me to lift out and stack nicely.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    That CBA file. I know that one:o - as regards stuff other than cooking.

I've trained myself to keep lists up on the fridge of tasks to be done and another list of tasks I really "shouldnt" have to do (eg clean up paint spills from a "professional:rotfl:" decorator as one of the things on that list at the moment).

I try and make myself do something/anything from at least one of those lists each day. I don't always succeed:rotfl:- but it helps.....
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I decided on the pizza in the end, so that's out of the freezer, cooked and half eaten. 1000 calories for the whole thing! Yes, we all know I'll eat that a bit later, cold .... but if I split it in half and eat it over two meals I can pretend it never happened.

And just for good measure .... I pulled the frozen cheesecake from the freezer too .... that'll easily cut into chunky quarters ... and I expect most of that to be scoffed pretty darned quickly (unless it's awful.... I hope it isn't).

Freezer's looking pretty empty now. Three large items have gone from it in the last 24 hours.

For the space one pizza in a box takes up, you could fit 20 burgers, or about 45 fish fingers! It's amazing how much room some things take up when you compare space used -v- meals achieved.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,234 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 19 August 2017 at 1:50PM
    Options
    [QUOTE=PasturesNew;73009453And just for good measure .... I pulled the frozen cheesecake from the freezer too .... that'll easily cut into chunky quarters ... and I expect most of that to be scoffed pretty darned quickly (unless it's awful.... I hope it isn't).

For the space one pizza in a box takes up, you could fit 20 burgers, or about 45 fish fingers! It's amazing how much room some things take up when you compare space used -v- meals achieved.[/QUOTE]

I know the cake problem only too well. I had an unopened choc gateau cake from yesterday's visit. Somehow a large slice vanished this lunchtime, and it was gorgeous. Can't see the rest making it through to Monday :o

I have found pizza in boxes are stupidly over packaged, all cardboard and no pizza. I stopped buying them for that reason and now only buy the cheap little ones in see through cellophane

It was cheese salady sarnie for lunch, plus that largish lump of choc cake

Master plan on mobile phone sorting went belly up this morning. New SIM arrived, which then broke and bent as I tried to prise it out of it's protective packaging :mad: Probably as well, in the few days since I sent for it I have since learnt that all unused credit is lost after 90 days with them. At least that experience has cost me nothing

On a brighter note, one of my soon to be departed phone providers is passing on my unused credit to charity :T

PS Kittie, beetroot makes lovely wine
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Lunch done and dusted - "same old same old" aka fruit salad of apple/satsuma/banana with Oatly "cream", topped with squeeze of healthy type chocolate sauce and healthy type chocolate chips - with a few chocolate peppermint leaves picked from the garden to chuck on top to jazz it up.

Couple of slices of sourdough.

Yep...in bored mode with cooking at the moment.:rotfl:

Read of ingredients in the supermarket this morning and what I thought were organic packets of rice and quinoa readycooked (trans. = Oh good...nice and easy) has some oil in. Whoops - that won't do for a wholefood plant-based diet then (as that doesnt include oil).

Thought I'd better be a bit more conscious of things like oil - as last time I had my cholesterol measured it had gone from British average of around 5 up to skyhigh of around 9 for some reason.:eek:. So - eggs are out and I guess will be pretty much so when I've lost the excess weight and cheese will have to be minimal (ditto - even when....) and oil is a virtual no-no all along too. Been following the idea of doing any roasted vegetables I do in the oven put into a roasting tin on top of a sheet of parchment paper and, at most, only doing a couple of cautious squirts of spray oil on it and that cuts back on it some more.

New ceramic saucepans working well at using just a cautious squirt or two of spray oil on them (rather than tablespoons worth) or a little bit of vegetable stock. So, thankfully, they turned into a worthwhile investment.:)

Thinking about having another go at some radicchio grown in my garden as part of dinner tonight. This time - think I'll try it grilled both sides for a few minutes drizzled with balsamic vinegar (won't be repeating the pomegranite molasses experiment with it).

I can feel dinner is likely to be pretty CBA level again - to date looks like it will be that radicchio, the last of that packet of salad, the last (yet again) of the sorta Caesar dressing and some new-boiled potatoes (wondering what to have with them - rather than lashings of butter - as I've been used to....:().
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,234 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    and some new-boiled potatoes (wondering what to have with them - rather than lashings of butter - as I've been used to....:().

I know it is oil but I have them lightly tossed in olive oil while still warm. A little oil goes a long way
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    farway, I gave all my wine making kit away, demis, 5 gal fermenters, heater, filters the whole kit caboodle. I don`t drink much wine, so no point making it now. In fact I am trying to use lots of hm white wine in cooking. It is lovely wine but makes a lovely pud when used for poaching apricots and I put it into any casserole type recipe. I can buy locallly made organic wines close by, so that will do me

I managed a bike ride as all chores were finished, all about cooking for the freezer today or preserving from the allotment

Soup later, carrot/sweet red pepper/lentil and thawed (from the in/out drawer) baked apple with half a yoghurt. Took a scone out of that drawer as its nice to have something with a bit of damson jam on top
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    I know the cake problem only too well. I had an unopened choc gateau cake from yesterday's visit. Somehow a large slice vanished this lunchtime, and it was gorgeous. Can't see the rest making it through to Monday :o

Chocolate cake is my favourite. It wouldn't last until Monday here, which is why I very rarely make chocolate cake. Anyhow, cake calories dont count :D
  • Hollyharvey
    Options

New ceramic saucepans working well at using just a cautious squirt or two of spray oil on them (rather than tablespoons worth) or a little bit of vegetable stock. So, thankfully, they turned into a worthwhile investment.:)

I had to buy a new cooker last year and new saucepans because it has an induction hob and I opted for ceramic saucepans as well. I agree that they have been a good investment for the same reasons as you.
  • SamsReturn
    SamsReturn Posts: 2,489 Forumite
    Options

For the space one pizza in a box takes up, you could fit 20 burgers, or about 45 fish fingers! It's amazing how much room some things take up when you compare space used -v- meals achieved.

I hardly ever put anything in the freezer in the box it came in, they take up to much room. I save all my cereal bags, 'cos they're waxy, and wrap things in them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure