PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• poppystar
    poppystar Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 10 October 2017 at 9:36AM
    Options
    Hi (and ditto PN on don'y quote will delete)

Perhaps we need another thread?!

I'm in the middle of similar at the mo. Effectively cut out of family when got ill. Not helped by other family member ingratiating themselves with parents, and who also ensured another inheritance was redirected to them - while I was getting charitable help just to survive. In fair never asked parents for money 'cos was always told there was none, only found out later this had happened. Now no more money likely to be had and job not going to be as easy as just saying 'aren't I wonderful' and pocketing money said family member washing hands of surviving parent. Cue everyone asking what i am going to do … or rather telling my what I ought to do. Not posting here as hardly eating or just grabbing what I can while feeling like I am just having to defend myself to people who didn't give a damn when I was fighting to keep roof over head.

Phew - better for that rant! all so bloody hard alone.

Best of wishes to money, PN and all those dealing with or have dealt with the same! :)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 10 October 2017 at 10:18AM
    Options
    I certainly had a friend from a rather posher background than mine some time back (titles and a drawl in the voice type background) who was quite open with me about the way she manoeuvred into getting any money going ever and had a man supporting her and she hadnt worked for decades. That friendship was over the day she didnt seem to regard it as any big deal that I'd just literally probably saved her life (at some risk to my own) and she then went off into telling me about how she'd managed to pay a tradesperson less than NMW for doing a job for her by flirting with him. At that point - that was that and I didnt want to know her any more.

...and hoping Caron's back is feeling a bit better this morning?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Breakfast: A "dipping pot" filled with chocolate fingers.

Proper food, eh :)

I've still 7 large bakers, but I've also a yearning for another cheese omelette. Who knows... the world of 2-ingredient food is my oyster :)
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Some awful stories. I'm sorry you had to deal with all of that.xxxx
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My steak that I was so looking forward to last night wasn't steak :(. It turned out to be four sausages, so I had two of those with salad and a few oven chips. I did enjoy it though so all ok :).

I cooked all four sausages and I am going to have a sausage sandwich for lunch today, so that will be a nice change.

The packet that I grabbed from the freezer this morning with my eyes closed (I thought it would be more fun this way :), looks like it is a stew/casserole of either beef or lamb, but as I got it so wrong yesterday it could be something entirely differend. Whatever it is I will serve with some steamed veg and mashed potato.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,265 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Some awful stories. I'm sorry you had to deal with all of that.xxxx

Ditto, very hard to know what one would do in similar circumstances, easy to say but not easy to do I would think. Counting my lucky stars it never happened to me, possibly because there was no money to be had in the first place?

Spot of luck on the Lild mooch this morning, two packs of YS Chilli con carne, one in the freezer and one for ?? Plus impulse buy of YS smoked salmon, with still a few days left on date. That sort of takes me through to weekend

Lunch was the last P/b baguette filled with cheese & salad bits

Dinner just not sure, the Chilli is calling but I have use it or lose it 1/2 pork pie left and think that will do the job, could put some chips with it to ensure I get carbs and fat daily allowance:D

The idea of PNs two ingredient food appeals, I have eggs & mushrooms lurking, could be omelette one day, once i have the smoked salmon out of the way

I just fancied something sweet yesterday, and thought of making a tea loaf, but no SR flour in the house. The seed is sown now and SR flour is on my shopping list. Didn't get it from Lidl this morning because years ago I had flour from there with something grit like in it and have avoided their flour ever since

I will probably get the mixed fruit soaking in tea overnight ready to bake tomorrow, if I remember and say awake thet long
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Latest food experiment - have tried cooking quinoa in my slow-cooker. Now that did work out - 0.5 cup quinoa and 1 cup water and teeniest little bit of olive oil. Left on high for a lot shorter time than Google said. Google said 3 hours. I left it 1 hour. Possibly because it's only a small slow cooker and I was only doing a small amount?

The rice I cooked in the slow cooker the other day didnt work out - it all went clidgy and I landed up using it up by making a sort of rice pudding with it. But I shall have another go at some point - and with a much shorter cooking time than Google says and see how that comes out.

Lunch today was toast spread with Violife "cream cheese" equivalent I bought the other day to try out. It's a vegan cream cheese substitute and it's not bad - not quite the same as cream cheese. But - reasonable. So toast spread with this Violife stuff and some avocado on top and it was quite nice.
  • PasturesNew
    edited 10 October 2017 at 4:45PM
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    ... I just fancied .... but no SR flour in the house. The seed is sown now and SR flour is on my shopping list.
    I spend my life wishing I had XYZ. There's always something I've not got ... because, when you're CFO you simply can't have everything in the house all of the time like larger households can have.

Some things I deliberately run out of and have a gap (spuds/eggs).
    Some things I always have in the house (beans/cheese).
    Some things are bought in anticipation of making something specific (digestives/cheesecake), then I just eat the single ingredient and am back to square one.
    Some things I often think of and never get round to buying in because there's simply too much food and too many choices in the world - and as there's always something to be used up you never get to the point of having a clean sheet and thinking about these things and getting them.
    Some things are bought with intent - and loiter, never to be used (e.g. the lasagne sheets bought 3-4 years ago ... I keep intending to make a lasagne with, but haven't so far ...). Not really a fan of pasta/lasagne, so it's never on the "fancy that" list, but I have the sheets... TWO boxes bizarrely!

Earlier I made/ate a gorgeous fluffy cheese omelette, no chips or beans, just the omelette. GORGEOUS it was.... so lovely I just scoffed it PDQ without even getting it onto a plate :)
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Just lurking and passing through as technically I'm not a CFO. Though my hubby works shifts so I adapt and do enjoy this thread.

PasturesNew I've bookmarked your foodblog and congratualte you on an informative, interesting and enjoyable blog. You write well and I adore your stance and sensible no nonsence approach to cooking for one. I've learnt a lot from you and I consider myself a decent enough cook and like to try new recipes, ingredients and have a big freezer to hide my sins!

However, I still cant believe ive just found out how to do fish fingers in the microwave which i love but no one else will eat and as for your puds and quiches, boy are they quick, tasty and amazingly frugal. Your flour and suet mix in a box is great idea I now do! I could go on but I there is definetely a place for your style of cooking out there that people need to learn and you're doing a fab job letting us all know.

Well done and thank you xxx
  • PasturesNew
    edited 10 October 2017 at 5:02PM
    Options
    katkin wrote: »
    Just lurking and passing through as technically I'm not a CFO. Though my hubby works shifts so I adapt and do enjoy this thread.

PasturesNew I've bookmarked your foodblog and congratualte you on an informative, interesting and enjoyable blog. You write well and I adore your stance and sensible no nonsence approach to cooking for one. I've learnt a lot from you and I consider myself a decent enough cook and like to try new recipes, ingredients and have a big freezer to hide my sins!

However, I still cant believe ive just found out how to do fish fingers in the microwave which i love but no one else will eat and as for your puds and quiches, boy are they quick, tasty and amazingly frugal. Your flour and suet mix in a box is great idea I now do! I could go on but I there is definetely a place for your style of cooking out there that people need to learn and you're doing a fab job letting us all know.

Well done and thank you xxx

:) that made me really LOL... thank you ... and thank you for your kind words.

It's also available on Facebook ... where you might spot stuff you missed :)

I CBA ever these days to cook fish fingers properly. I still continue to tweak methods, but the blog doesn't overload people with the nuances and tweaks or it'd become overwhelming.

My thinking is that the bottom line is: can I do it/is it safe/edible ...and how?
    If you hunt round .... you'll also see I've done full sized fish in breadcrumbs portions too "as a test" .... they work too (to save you searching). Bigguns!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure