Why did US focused funds drop yesterday?

Options
This really is a random Saturday morning question but as a newish investor, I'm baffled! So the US stock market was hitting record levels, the S&P 500 was up 0.47% yesterday, yet Vanguards US Equity fund which tracks it, was down 0.71%! A lot of US heavy funds were down too.

I'm sure there's a simple answer to this!

Comments

• lpgm
    lpgm Posts: 355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    1. Did the pound strengthen? If so, that'll knock the value in sterling.
    2. When are the US funds priced? There can be a time lag.
  • A_T
    A_T Posts: 959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Someone will know better than me but maybe the fund price was set at around midday UK time before Wall Street opened?
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    5pm Thursday the exchange rate was $1.292 equals £1.

5pm Friday the exchange rate was $1.3076 equals £1.

By the time the market closed on Friday the rate was $1.3092

So on Thursday a thousand dollars worth of value in a portfolio of US shares would be valued at £774. While now a thousand dollars is only worth £764.

If the US market didn't go up in value and your $1000 portfolio wasn't worth any more dollars, you've lost ten quid, which is more than a percent of your value.

In fact, the US market portfolio of shares did go up in value, but not by as much as US dollars lost value when measured in pounds, so you still lose overall.
  • Asghar
    Asghar Posts: 433 Forumite
    Options
    Jeems wrote: »
    This really is a random Saturday morning question but as a newish investor, I'm baffled! So the US stock market was hitting record levels, the S&P 500 was up 0.47% yesterday, yet Vanguards US Equity fund which tracks it, was down 0.71%! A lot of US heavy funds were down too.

I'm sure there's a simple answer to this!

Simply put the Pound has strengthened against the dollar and most currencies yesterday so when the funds are priced back into Pounds they are worth less.

The Vanguard fund is priced at 9.00pm in the evening and before this, yesterday afternoon, the Pound strengthened over 1.1% against the dollar. So your fund would have had to go up by 1.1% just so the price would remain the same. It didn't so in effect, in Pounds sterling your fund is worth less.

The other way round, if you had invested money yesterday, you would have received more dollars for each Pound and therefore received more units in the fund.
  • A_T
    Options
    Looking back to last year London based tracker funds of US Indexes didn't fall much after the Brexit Sterling plummet. Why not?
  • Asghar
    Asghar Posts: 433 Forumite
    Options
    A_T wrote: »
    Looking back to last year London based tracker funds of US Indexes didn't fall much after the Brexit Sterling plummet. Why not?

Why should they have dropped in value?
    US and Global funds went up in value by at least 10% because the Pound dived in value.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

Why would you expect them to fall? Should and did rise substantially recogniusing the fall in the Pound.

You have three effects working together.
    1. Whatever is happening to the US market.
    2. Whatever is happening to Dollar vs Pound.
    3. What the effect of Brexit was on US markets. Which was a small immediate but transient effect.

PIcking at random the UK-based Fidelity Moneybuilder US Index which tracks the S&P 500, between June 20 and June 27 2016, it went from 71.6 to 84.2 and then over 100 by Aug 2nd.

This is hardly "didnt fall much", very much the opposite it rose substantially !

Meawhile the S&P 500 itself was 910, 872 (small but transient fall caused by Brexit) and 936 on those dates.eg not much movement overall.

So the rise in UK based US funds was down to Sterling fall, and i dont recognise your point about them falling at all. Got some examples of funds that fell? They would need to overcome a sterling based rise of 20%. Currency hedged funds you had maybe?
  • A_T
    Options
    Sorry I'm getting confused
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,662 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Sorry I'm getting confused

Here is a simple example. If you hold $1000 of US shares with the pound worth $2 then you have shares worth £500. If the pound then falls to parity with the dollar a( €1 = £1) and the share price remains at $1000 then although your shares are unchanged in dollars the value on this side of the pond has increased to £1000.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    I'm probably going to get a b*llocking for mentioning politics again but thats the answer. Politicians accepted we would have to pay an exit fee for Brexit. Their less beliggerant approach to the negotiations looks more helpful to British Industry. So the pound rose to a 10 month high.
    As has been pointed out, since US funds are priced here in pounds they fell in value.
    (I was investing my ISA allowance around 4pm and because of this changed my mind at the last minute and put it in CSP1- which had fallen instead of VMID - which had risen.)
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure