PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

moral question, what to charge girlfriend!

Options
124»

Comments

• older_wiser
    older_wiser Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    nnb wrote: »
    I am not a landlord so I am replying as if I was the girlfriend. And these would be the options I would assume were available:

- We still date but I stay in the other house and pay what I currently pay.
    - We date and I move in with you, I pay the market rate for renting part of your property (so half of bills, plus rent - which happens to be your mortgage). I would not be expecting to own part of the house, it is purely a rental/lodger agreement.

If I moved in with a boyfriend and he only charged me half of the bills, I would think I've landed on a sweet deal! I'd also worry his family/friends think I am taking advantage (if they find out what our deal is). I would expect to pay more though, as if we were jointly renting somewhere. I certainly don't think you should offer her a better deal on whatever property she lives in, just because she's your girlfriend. As others have said, what you choose to spend on her in your relationship is irrelevant to your question - although it does sound like you spend a lot on her already so in all honesty, I get the feeling she could certainly afford to pay the going rate with what she's saving on the dates! Dating is expensive haha!

My only concern with you going with the last option (of market rate) would be that if you split up, she may try claiming she owns part of the house or something daft so I would suggest having something written in place that says she is purely renting/lodging - I don't know the legalities of what you could put in place, but I am sure yourself or someone else here knows more so could clarify that a bit more and understand what I am badly trying to explain here :)

I think in the short term thats a sensible idea 50/50 for everything rent bills etc but when it goes to years thats when it becomes more troublesome. If i had been paying half the mortgage for nearly 10 years i would certanily be thinking i had a form of equity in the house perhaps i'm being too financial minded about it though.
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,990 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow
    snickpan wrote: »
    ...Just seeing if there was a firm line of answers before I pop the question.

I hope she doesn't have a dictionary:

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/pop-the-question

Or maybe she does... in which case, congratulations!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure