Advice please

My 15 year old daughter gets DLA high rate care, but her health has deteriorated since her award in December 2016.

She is now unable to be left unattended at all as she is scared to be alone. She's also afraid to go outside alone, she'll sometimes agree to come in the car with me but we have to arrange where and how long before we leave, and if she has a panic attack then we have to come home immediately. Even the most simple things like going for food shopping are almost impossible now.

I normally work in education although I'm on summer leave which means I'm able to provide the level of care she needs, however I have no idea what I'm going to do when it's time to go back to work?

Can anyone give me advice on benefits, or anything at all that might make things less stressful?

Currently we get child tax credit, and I've just put in a claim for carers allowance as I'm not earning any money over the schools summer break, but I know this isn't enough for us to live on.

I'm a homeowner (mortgage) and a single parent with no other dependant children.

Thanks in advance for any help,
pinkpinkfizz

I :heartpuls MSE

Comments

• One thing comes to mind does her dad provide any help or financial help? and if not why not ?
    If you were to quit work totally you maybe able to claim Income Support when you get carers allowance, and in 9 months time help with your mortgage, and sooner than that help with council tax. Your best bet might be an appointment with CAB.
  • venison wrote: »
    One thing comes to mind does her dad provide any help or financial help? and if not why not ?

My ex-husband is an abusive drunk, so we have no support from him as it's safer to keep him out of our lives.

Thanks for the advice about CAB
    pinkpinkfizz

I :heartpuls MSE
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,858
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    My 15 year old daughter gets DLA high rate care, but her health has deteriorated since her award in December 2016.

She is now unable to be left unattended at all as she is scared to be alone. She's also afraid to go outside alone, she'll sometimes agree to come in the car with me but we have to arrange where and how long before we leave, and if she has a panic attack then we have to come home immediately. Even the most simple things like going for food shopping are almost impossible now.

I normally work in education although I'm on summer leave which means I'm able to provide the level of care she needs, however I have no idea what I'm going to do when it's time to go back to work?

Can anyone give me advice on benefits, or anything at all that might make things less stressful?

Currently we get child tax credit, and I've just put in a claim for carers allowance as I'm not earning any money over the schools summer break, but I know this isn't enough for us to live on.

I'm a homeowner (mortgage) and a single parent with no other dependant children.

Thanks in advance for any help,
    You should also be getting extra child tax credits because of your daughters DLA award, i'm assuming you are? Venison is right about your mortgage, it's 9 months wait for interest only payments.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure