Options
2»

Comments

• GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    Macrium has good selection of PE environments which give you CMD prompt to run commands.

Mini Partition Wizard tool has options to rebuild MBR

I know, got and use both :)
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • GunJack
    Options
    Surely if you have a 7 image install disk then you can repair from that ??? What is the exact problem GJ:beer:

The exact problem is:-

1. I think the hdd is beginning to fail, possibly with some overly-corrupted sectors.
    2. On boot, it gets to the windows "flag" emblem but no further
    3. chkdsk and sfc have been run on the drive, fixed some stuff but no difference on boot.
    4. Booted into repair environment (from several different variants of install and repair disks), it identified the windows install, but fails when hitting Next to go to the repair & recovery tools, with error message saying not compatible with this version of Repair disk, obtain the correct version....not seen this before, ever, on anything at this stage :(

Ideally I wanted to get it to boot properly, then image the drive to make swapping the hdd easier, but looks like I'm going to have to go data recovery and clean install :mad:

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If its the drive itself then you run the HD manufacturers software to error check it. If its fixable it will tell you if not then stop using it until you can backup and replace it.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Coincidentally, and of no help to GJ, I'm fixing a Vaio with a "clicking" Seagate Barracuda. It's a simple fix for me because the disk is knackered - so new install. (The user said it had become more difficult to boot successfully over the last week - so that's 18month of -luckily unimportant- docs and photos gone; their File History backup wasn't working either).
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You could try using Macrium reflect recovery disk perhaps
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • GunJack
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'm not going to overdo the disk until after I've recovered the user's data :)

Once I have, if I can repair it enough to image it, that's the end-game. As stated it's having a new hdd anyway, at this point it's whether it's a clean install and reinstate data or the chance of image of the old...

• GunJack
    Options
    The old hdd is going back to the owner as-is, in a caddy as an emergency data recovery option until they're sure they have all they need off it...they "think" they've got everything backed up (but how often have we heard that one ;) ), but we can never be quite sure, can we??

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well running the Windows repair disk may kill it. You need the manufacturers disk which will tell you any fault codes logged and the drives health status.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure