PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord asking for cash deposit

Options
2»

Comments

• perfect10
    perfect10 Posts: 455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, apparently he has advertised flats before on Spareroom so known to them and there have never been any complaints, bad feedback etc, also now have a copy of the contract so can go through this too, have asked for details of rent deposit scheme and said I want a receipt when I pay.
    Really appreciate all the advice.
    Entering a few comps here and there 2020 seems my best year for wins so far:- iphone xs, limited edition whiskey, Masha and the Bear toys, newborn baby stuff, 3 x books, 12 months membership to diet app, bottle of syrup, Baby Shark singing puppet, children’s book, Nasty vegan shake x 2 packs.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,608 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    anselld wrote: »
    .......... so I can't see a legitimate reason to request cash.
    Landlords may request cash as then they know for sure they have received the funds (assuming not forged currency).. whereas almost all other forms of payment (bank transfer, cheque, etc ...) are usually unwindable one way or another...

Legal, but becoming increasing rare....
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    I agree.

Make sure the receipt is clear what it is for:
    * LL name
    * property address
    * security deposit for tenancy
    * signature
    * date

I would type this up to take along with you so it only needs to be signed by the LL.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure