Humax Boxes

Options
124»

Comments

• downshifted
    downshifted Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Boxman - we got Freesat because we live near the coast and the Freeview signal was as poor as other TV and phone signals here
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just curious, what does Freesat give you over Freeview?

They're similar in the offering of the main channels, and catch up services, if you buy the right box, but Freesat does have stacks more channels. Freeview does have some that Freesat doesn't have though, as I said above, the most important one, depending on your opinion, is Dave. It's not worth getting a satellite dish for, and Freeview isn't worth getting an aerial for, if you've already got the other.
    In the future though, Freeview's bandwidth is pretty tight, so I don't see where they'll ever fit 4K channels - satellite (Sky, Freesat, free satellite) has plenty of bandwidth to spare, so 4K is possible.
  • Ainsley1
    Ainsley1 Posts: 404 Forumite
    Options
    Being on holiday in sunnier climes I have only just read this whilst waiting around for travel.......but
    Yes sat has a lot more channels, free has a lot less and in some areas poor signal strength or an even more limited number of channels where old relay analogue transmitters have reduced capacity.

Don't want PVR???? We'll just try using catch up for those bits of programmes that are not available such as local news when grandchildren star that are great for memories!!!
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,047 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    Why record at all, consider on demand TV, have your own library backed up by channels if you want them, no need to record anything because they are already there waiting for you.

Some of us out there don't have high speed, or even normal speed of broadband to support on demand viewing.

My troubles with broadband last week brought my speed down to an average lower than dial-up! The resolution has brought it back up to a normal 1.9mbps. At that speed I can watch BBC iPlayer without too much trouble but not ITV / STV which just always buffers.

As for Freesat channels, the whole selection of BBC regional channels are available, not just the local one. Freeview channels here are very limited although we do have have them tuned in.

It's about choice and limitations. Sometimes the limitations are geographical and sometimes they are financial. Or both.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I love Plex, DavidP24, but it absolutely isn't for everyone. I think broadcast TV will still be here for years to come.
    Anyway, it's just been announced that Dave will be added to the Freesat platform from 1st August - this was about the biggest drawback (depending on your opinion of channels) of going with Freesat vs Freeview, bot now there's decent parity between the channel lineups.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure