Redundancy rumours, what to do

Options
So as the topic suggest, in my place of work there has been rumours and speculations for months that our site is being shut down but no one in upper managerment like a ops manager or a director etc will either confirm or deny it, they just ignore the question

Now let me give you the reasons why everyone believes that the site is closing as as a impartial outside m, tell me how you would take it:

So when I started this company just under 1 year ago we had 150 agents employed, and 7 managers, +2 seconded managers, now we currently have 40 agents and 3 managers, soon to be 1 as one is leaving and another may be going to a different job.

For months we have asked for more staff as we have been put on ridiculous 10 hours shifts because of staff shortage, few months ago, in almost Secret a new call centre emerged and we were told this new centre has employed about 50 people and will recruit more, we all got annoyed because we asked them to employee people here, as there is 100 desks just doing nothing

Then we complained again asking for more recruitment, and again in secret we find out, they are opening a. Rand new call centre in Manchester, advertising our exact same jobs, hiring over 100 staff in the initial process of employment

Again, our centre has 100+ desks sat empty, there has been zero attempt at recruiting staff here, soon we will have 1 manager between 40 agents, they have had not employed a new manager and have no plans too

Everyone we ask, our own managers and our direct line to the upper management, ask them a simple question. "Is this site being shut down, yes or no" we get zero reply, now as a company I'd expect, if my staff believed that they were going to loose their jobs, it would affect their performance at work, so I would address this issue and lay it to rest, BUT no one answers, even if we email the top guy directly we get no reply

So what do you all think, are we facing a site closure?

Also, is there anything, "by law" we can do to get a answer, is there anything in employee rights that we can use to get an answer?

I feel bad for those people who have mortgages, kids, getting married, that they have no certainty of a job

Thank you in advance

Comments

• ssparks2003
    ssparks2003 Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    swatkatz01 wrote: »
    So what do you all think, are we facing a site closure?

Also, is there anything, "by law" we can do to get a answer, is there anything in employee rights that we can use to get an answer?

In answer to your two questions the answers are maybe - maybe not & No.

Suggest if you are worried you get yourself in gear, get the CV dusted down and start sending it out instead of just sitting there.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    the early signs are there, one tactic used to cut any redundancy bill is natural wastage then invoke any relocation clauses to get the rest to leave.

Look for other signs....
    check the ownership of the building if leased when is that due for renewal
    check local planning
    check https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/
  • swatkatz01
    Options
    CV is already in play, it's just this company pay a lot more then other companies who do the same role so, a second company I looked for pay £4K less then what I'm getting at the moment, and I don't wanna be one of them who jump the ship early only to find out it was just rumours, but I get what your saying, it's a damned if I do, damned if I don't situation
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    what re they paying at the new locations
  • swatkatz01
    Options
    They paying £2000 less then what we get but that's cause we just had yearly wage rise, they are on same wage as I was when I started, just had confirmation that they have 150 new staff in training at the new centre with shifts like normal people standard 7.5 hour shifts 5 days a week where as we are stuck doing a mixture of 7.5 8.5 and 9 hour shifts on a 4 week rota
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 11 July 2017 at 9:26PM
    Options
    Then wait and see. There is no benefit to you at the moment to learn if there will be redundancies especially if you don't want to jump the ship early, is there? Depending on the timing, you might even get a small payout.
    ally.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OP has been there less than a year, so unless any possible future redundancies are deferred for over a year, they will not be entitled to any redundancy payment.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Cygnus_Alpha
    Cygnus_Alpha Posts: 191 Forumite
    Options
    Best thing to do is not to second guess what might happen and not to worry about it. You have done the right thing by dusting off your CV and keeping an eye on the job market.

The reason the management can't answer your question about whether there is going to be a redundancy exercise or not is that they have not decided. Once they have, there will usually be a formal consultation exercise (depending on the numbers affected).

As you have been employed there for less than 2 years, you would not receive a statutory redundancy payment - although they might offer one anyway. You would though be given your notice period (or paid in lieu of it).
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was once a Union rep and had the same rumours.........they came true but I was offered another job at another plant.

With only a year service you will get very little compensation. Keep sending the CV out and sit tight and see. Its a very unsettling time I know. There is nothing to make them tell you what is going on...........only decent management.

Formal consultation exercise...........yep that should come before it is true. I have sat in on a number and found it to be nothing more than just an exercise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure