We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Help on tidying up garden

Options
2»

Comments

• Ash_Mc
    Ash_Mc Posts: 194 Forumite
    Options
    A budget solution would be to dig it over, rake the soil out to fill on the gap and sow grass seed on it to take your lawn right up to the house.
  • chib
    chib Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    OK, that makes it a lot clearer.

Being very careful to not fall down the slope, I'd cut a narrow/shallow trench at the point I wanted the grass to start with a narrow spade. I'd water it for a good long time first to try and make it easier. And then use the spoil from that to even up any dips in the ground that is sort of flat under the windows.

And then I'd stick in a layer of sand, tamp it down firmly, then lay bog standard bricks, including secondhand ones that look weathered, to make a small path alongside the new flowerbed, brushing some more sand over them when I finished. There are fancier ways to do it, for example, laying hardcore, adding mortar or buying a path-on-a-strip, but I'm thinking cheap, effective and quick - plus easy to replace when money's not so tight.

I'm sorry - I don't fully understand. Promise you I'm not stupid, just want to ensure I get it.

Last night I cleared a lot of the weeds you can see in the recent photo and I've put down the black fabric at the top/flat part to reduce any more that come through.

This is a profile of the garden - you can see the grass slope and where the layers of dirt are. It's the section "2" and where it ramps up to "3" that I'm not sure what to do? The black line is where I've laid fabric.

VjaDFPh.png
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In section two i would put paving slabs so you have easy access for any maintenance. As you go between 2 and 3 have a small wall to hold back and keep tidy the soil/stones.

Saying that im not sure how well it would fir with the existing path set up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure