PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet?

Options

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 July 2017 at 2:17PM
    Options
    But it says in the contract that the agreement can be terminated by the landlord with two month's notice...? I am so confused by this, is it really true that a 12 month agreement effectively runs forever unless the tenant or court ends it? Why is it called a 12 month contract and not a lifetime contract?? How is it right that the tenant can stay after 12 months ends when there is no contract in place and if I am politely and with two month's notice asking them to leave?
    No. When the 12 month contract ends, a new one starts automatically, month by month (yes, for ever) unless the tenant or a court ends it.

That's why the LL has to serve a 2 month S21 Notice and then go to court.

Please read the link

* Ending/renewing an AST: what happens when a fixed term ends? How can a LL or tenant end a tenancy? What is a periodic tenancy?

Are you (trying to) managing this tenancy yourself or do you have an agent? If the latter, how did you choose your agent?
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    I know it because the tenant admitted it when I asked her! And they are not all legal, any recent hybrid more than 12.5% wolf needs a license, I have read the DEFRA guidelines. She said it is a Czechoslovakian Wolfdog but I have seen photos and it doesn't look like one to me! Whether it is legal or not it could still be tearing up my property, my nephew had one and its favourite activities were burrowing out of the garden, tearing furniture up and peeing in its owner's bed!!

How is any of that relevant?
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I know it because the tenant admitted it when I asked her! And they are not all legal, any recent hybrid more than 12.5% wolf needs a license, I have read the DEFRA guidelines. She said it is a Czechoslovakian Wolfdog but I have seen photos and it doesn't look like one to me! Whether it is legal or not it could still be tearing up my property, my nephew had one and its favourite activities were burrowing out of the garden, tearing furniture up and peeing in its owner's bed!!

BINGO!

Take photos of the dog/recordings of it howling/etc and that's where you tell these tenants to forget about "standing on their rights - whilst carefully forgetting their responsibilities" and you'd like them out pronto or else you'll be going into that further.....

That's two lies they've told you now:eek:
  • Guest101
    Options
    BINGO!

Take photos of the dog/recordings of it howling/etc and that's where you tell these tenants to forget about "standing on their rights - whilst carefully forgetting their responsibilities" and you'd like them out pronto or else you'll be going into that further.....

So what you're saying is that the OP should blackmail them to move out - are you feeling ok?
  • SuboJvR
    SuboJvR Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 10 July 2017 at 1:52PM
    Options
    The dander gets in very deep in the carpet and is hard to get out if you have severe allergies/asthma. I will have to get all of the carpets replaced. Just the thought of it makes me itch

From my personal experience, this is simply just not true. I'm an atopic individual, with asthma, triggered further by allergies. My allergies include dust, and cats and dogs. Within 30 minutes of being at my dad's (cat's) I am symptomatic. My experience of living in a house previously inhabited by dogs, that I then cleaned, was that I had no problems.

A professional clean will sort it and I think your tenants would be willing to pay for this in return for your accommodating their pet. I know I would be if it were me.

Regardless, the 'damage' is done now. You can't get them out before the end of the tenancy, whether the dog lives there for another month or another few years, your carpets have had a dog on them. I would really encourage you try and be accommodating. Accept that the dog is there, be civil to your tenants who are all paid up, and play the "accommodating landlord" instead of the aggravated one. Say you understand the dog is living there, but as this wasn't allowed by the initial agreement you would kindly request that they arrange to have the place professionally cleaned, with particular attention to the carpets, at the end of their tenancy, whenever that may be. If not you'll end up getting a quote yourself to have it done and deduct from the deposit.

If you make enemies of them now they won't be very inclined to help you out and you may then end up needing to chase the money through the protection scheme (the deposit is held in one, yes?)
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The tenant could be a reasonable person and move out after the 12 month period, if asked nicely, its either that or spending a lot of money in the courts.
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    How is any of that relevant?

Very relevant imo.

Do they want to get in trouble with The Law or no? Take yer pick - ie either "stand on rights" and get in trouble with The Law. Or admit guilt and pack up and go and The Law doesnt get involved.

Simples....:cool:

....and...yep...that is how some of us act ...and it does work in my experience....
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    So what you're saying is that the OP should blackmail them to move out - are you feeling ok?

Absolutely fine - thanks for asking:D

It's not "blackmail". Its pointing out the Facts Of Life to them.
  • Guest101
    Options
    Absolutely fine - thanks for asking:D

It's not "blackmail". Its pointing out the Facts Of Life to them.

No, it's really blackmail.

Honestly, it's not a good idea
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    BINGO!

The chances of a dog being more than 12.5% wolf are vanishingly small, !!!!!!. I assume you know nothing about dogs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure