Broadband speed problem

Options
12346»

Comments

• Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,047 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    After being away from home Thursday until now, and speedtest still showing 0.41mb/s I'm beginning to suspect a faulty hub. The hub 6 is fairly new (1 month / 6 weeks).

Monday, Monday, so kind to me!
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,675 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Gers wrote: »
    After being away from home Thursday until now, and speedtest still showing 0.41mb/s I'm beginning to suspect a faulty hub. The hub 6 is fairly new (1 month / 6 weeks).

Re-post the line stats from the router!!!
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • Rubidium
    Rubidium Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post
    Options

I believe that you are wrong to make the assumption that your recent BT hub is the reason for your drop in broadband speed, when you have told us that you can hear crackling on your line during calls.
    SNR has made no / little difference. Speed now fluctuating between .33mbps and .41mbps.

Quiet test done, no noise heard but phone calls do crackle.

BT agent is calling me back about 8pm.

You really should have reported the cracking on the line during calls as the fault and when this fault is fixed, the broadband speed should automatically recover because the cracking is causing the continuously running Dynamic Line Management to change your broadband profile to compensate for your noisy line to prevent broadband disconnections.

My money would be on a bad connection/high resistance joint on your line to the exchange.

You will obviously never achieve the maximum broadband speed that your line is capable of while you have a crackly line!
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,047 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options

I've now disconnected the BT Smart Hub 6 and gone back to the Hub 4 - did it last night.

This morning my stats are back to 1.95mb \ s download (fluctuates but not madly) and so it must have been a faulty hub. I'll contact BT to cancel the engineer and complain about the router.

As for the crackling, BT did another line test and reported that all was OK - not convinced but will battle that one again another time. For now I'm happier that my speed is back to within normal limits.

Thanks all for the advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport