A new feline family member - what did you consider

Options

Comments

• Mardle
    Mardle Posts: 518 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Our cat chose us. We'd gone to visit a cat fosterer to meet an 8 month old black & white male & his all black mother with a view to adopting them both. I love black and white cats and he was gorgeous. Just the sort of cat I'd had in mind.

The fosterer carried in a small tabby & white male who they thought was about 3. He'd been a stray for quite some time before deciding he would move in. He was bullied by a couple of the other cats but he put up with it. He sat by my daughter's chair and just gazed at her. Not even moving when another cat took a swipe at him in passing. We adopted him and he's turned out to be the perfect cat for us.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Love kitties, but always stopped at the "cost" stage - I realised that if you get one you have to feel very confident that for the next 15 years or so you will always be able to afford its needs and wants.

And I couldn't do that.

I like "free cats", which are rare; they're neighbours' cats who are fed by them and kept by them, but who turn up in your garden and will come when called for a random stroke ... and don't try to get in your house :)
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Deep_In_Debt Posts: 8,579 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Sadly I lost one of my old ladies last month and I don't intend to get another cat or two until Suzy goes as I don't think it would be fair on her.

I got both of mine from a rescue centre 15 years ago and I wasn't looking for anything specific other than wanting 2 cats to keep each other company as I work full time.

Suzy decided to act very strangely (crawling under the blanket and making a point of tipping up the water bowl whilst hiding under the blanket which she did in front of every person who viewed them!) the day I went to view which apparently put most people off, but I thought she had a bit of character so reserved the sisters then and there.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,744 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Happibunni
    Can I just remind you of the unwritten rule on this forum. It is if you decide to have a new furbabe then pics are compulsory for the rest of us to coo over.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm a long-time MSE user, but have just become the proud mum of two crazy kittens, so have ventured on to the Pets board.

Our previous cat had to be put to sleep in September 2015 - at the time the house was still a building site, and we also knew we were going to go to Australia for a month, so we put off getting another cat until things were a bit calmer. By the time that had happened, we'd talked ourselves in to getting two...

We had a bit of a shopping list - we knew we wanted kittens, preferably from the RSPCA (we'd had problems with a 'private' cat rescue charity in the past), two sisters, and tabbies. Not a lot to ask... We had a bit of a wait (started looking in January 2017, brought them home in May), but we weren't in a hurry, it was more important to get it right. Afterall, they'll (hopefully) be with us for a long time.

The pair of them are currently trying to work out how to get their favourite jingly ball out from behind the TV...
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    The Universe, as is patently obvious, being ruled by a Cat Goddess, provides for the Collectors of Waifs and Strays.

You can have an idea of what you want - for me, it's a little black female kitten that likes cuddles, is smart, talks to you and doesn't attempt to decimate the local rodent population -

but The Universe may see fit to bestow upon you a demented tortoiseshell Maine Coon cross with short term memory loss and delusions of grandeur such that she is renamed Madam Fluffyknickers (when she deigns to acknowledge your existence, having transferred her entire affections to the new boyfriend 38 hours after he moved in - and any other random male that walks in the door :cool:) - and a grey mackerel tabby moron who can fall over whilst sitting on the floor, runs like he's competing in a Dressage Event until he falls over again, and regularly presents you with squishy baby mice and the occasional feral hamster. Which you then also have to house and feed, naturally, as he doesn't actually manage to do any lasting damage to anything big enough to fight back. Unless it's an unattended toilet roll. Then he goes full murdering sociopath on it. Especially when it's the last roll in the house.

I'm hoping that next time The Universe sees fit to gift me with further furry idiots, along with the little black kitten, she throws in a Beagle puppy for good measure.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,744 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Trailin spouse can we have pics please.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • Happibunni
    Options
    Thanks to one and all for your replies.

We weren't going to go looking for another month or so but fell in love with a wee girl on the sspca website. We went to meet her today and, paws crossed, she will be ready to come home next Friday/Saturday.

I don't have a picture to share but, for those interested, if you look at the sspca rehome page for cats her name is Elsa.

Our house will one again be a home :j
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,114 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Several years we had just a single cat and when we lost him the house seemed empty. We lasted two weeks before a visit to Cats Protection.

When I retired I was given permission to have a second cat. Despite the difference in their years their interaction was amazing - it was only recently when we found some old photos on the PC did we see how wonderful it was - they seemed to have a cat version of tag.

When we lost the eldest we wondered how well the youngest would adapt - no problems. Now she has been joined by a young male and the household is complete once more.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Gingernutty
    Gingernutty Posts: 3,769 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Aw, they love their cats up there.

Meet Tiddles

https://www.scottishspca.org/rehome/details/?animal=329260
    :huh: Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway... :huh:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories