PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Transfering home ownership from my mother to me

Options
2»

Comments

• macman1977
    Options
    Alternatively, you could consider changing to joint ownership so that when either of you dies the survivor retains full ownership.

Ah..that sounds like a good option maybe...? Anyone know how best to proceed with that?
  • macman1977
    Options
    Would the 'join ownership' thing simply be something we'd need to sort out with the mortgage provider and maybe the Land Registry form(s)?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    macman1977 wrote: »
    Alternatively, you could consider changing to joint ownership so that when either of you dies the survivor retains full ownership.

Ah..that sounds like a good option maybe...? Anyone know how best to proceed with that?

Start with a broker to assess the mortgage situation.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    macman1977 wrote: »
    my mother has continued to pay the mortgage with contributions toward it from myself.

I have lived in the house with her since then.
    Mossfarr wrote: »
    Why doesn't your Mum just write a will leaving the house to you? It can be written in such a way that your siblings have no claim on it.

Until the mortgage is paid off, the will is the best move. Your Mum can leave a letter with the will explaining her decision - that it is your home and that you have been paying towards the mortgage.

Once the house is wholly-owned, do the change of ownership to joint owners. Can you put as much as possible into the mortgage so that it's paid off quickly?
  • Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Will you or your mother tell your siblings of her intentions to leave the house to you?
    They may be older and financially secure but it may well still come as a shock. Surely better to inform them now than when your mother dies and emotions will be high and could cause a rift.
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You and your mother are both working.

Had you considered re-mortgaging on a joint mortgage?

You might borrow enough (within your means) to make improvements /modernise.
  • macman1977
    Options
    Thanks to everybody who has replied.

I think based on the feedback, we need to enquire about a joint mortgage and joint ownership.

I will also speak to her about making a will!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure