2»

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    grids....
    omariqy wrote: »
    Thanks. Which brand did you use if you mind me asking?

you still need to level the area.

when I was looking £10sqm was the low ball with most being closer to £15-£20.
  • casper_g
    casper_g Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    Options
    If you want gravel to stay put you need to use something angular, like the stuff sold as "Cotswold chippings". Rounded gravel like pea gravel/river gravel moves far too much as the bits don't "lock together".

Our driveway is paved, but there's a parking area to one side that is Cotswold gravel, and we only have a minor annoyance due to a couple of bits making their way onto the paving each week. Our neighbours have well-rounded pea gravel and it makes a heck of a mess spreading across the pavement. It's also migrated off the strips where the car wheels go to the extent that the landscaping fabric underneath is exposed (and ripped).
  • omariqy
    omariqy Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is block paving that much more expensive? I've seen that Marshall Driveline is supposed to be good?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Katies_Mum wrote: »
    We used gravel on our drive precisely because it is noisy when walked on. Deters burglars and other unwelcome visitors.

The only time we experienced an attempted burglary was when a young lad stepped onto gravel and woke our daughter, who jumped to the wrong conclusion and thought he was stealing her ferrets.

Hell may have no fury like a woman scorned, but by heck, there's nothing to compare with one who thinks her pets are being nicked! The guy fell and injured himself, while the air turned blue with expletives I'd never heard our 'young lady' use before!

So it worked.

The ferrets were perfectly safe. Let's face it, who'd steal creatures that could leave you with half a dozen puncture wounds in a matter of seconds? :rotfl:

Have to say our gravel drive here in the country is very useful, just for hearing people like the postman for up to around 100m on a good day.
  • omariqy
    omariqy Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So the builder will be buying hardcore, screed, cement and the block paving. He's asked me to source the block paving so that it is delivered direct to the house. Which one do I buy to make sure I don't need to get planning permission? Is the Marshall Standard block paving ok? If not, will they need a drainage system for the water to run off?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure