Used Car Faults

Options

Comments

• sjw3915
    sjw3915 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    From a trader the car should...
    meet any description given to you when you were buying it (whether in the ad or in discussions prior to sale) (Which website)
    Obviously if you have a copy of the ad that would help. If it was advertised as having air con but doesn't it's the seller's responsibility to sort.
  • sjw3915
    Options
    I don't know how old the cars you sold were but if you were selling cars that were a few years old for market price, then it would reasonably be assumed that the air con was working. As far as I can see, the 'buyer beware' scenario would be more for private sales where the seller wasn't an expert.

I know buyers have got more rights uner the 2015 act and maybe I'm hoping I'm right as I want my air con fixed! When I test drove the the guy said the air con would take time to cool down as the car had been standing for a while. So I thought nothing of it. (I know:o!!)
    Anyway I've e mailed Citizens Advice for a difinitive answer- if there is one. I'll post the reply here
  • bobbymotors
    bobbymotors Posts: 746 Forumite
    Options
    If the ad said the car ha aircon then it should work. End of story.
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    Many features can only be checked in specific conditions of weather or road.
    A/C won't work at all in very cold weather ; and in cool weather, poor A/C might seem good enough.

I once bought a car and asked for,at least 1/4 of a tank of fuel. On collection, the seller said they forgot, so gave me the money instead. When I added the fuel, the gauge didn't move off empty.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Geoff1963 wrote: »
    Many features can only be checked in specific conditions of weather or road.
    A/C won't work at all in very cold weather ; and in cool weather, poor A/C might seem good enough.

I once bought a car and asked for,at least 1/4 of a tank of fuel.
    On collection, the seller said they forgot, so gave me the money instead. When I added the fuel, the gauge didn't move off empty.

You're a tough negotiator.
  • sjw3915
    Options
    It's very black and white. I've had a reply from the Citizens Advice Consumer Service. The car sold by a trader should be 'free from fault.'
    It doesn't matter even if there was no mention of air con in the advert (as one post says) The customer only has to prove there is a fault ie the air con isn't working and that they haven't damaged it by misuse ie smashing the controls. If it's before 30 days you're also entitled to a full refund
  • sjw3915
    Options
    I'll post their full reply if anyone would find that helpful. Also If you complain of a fault within a 30 day period you are entitled to a full refund. If you want a repair, then report it asap as the 30 day rule is then paused until the trader fixes the problem. My advice is to report the problem in writing asap
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sjw3915 wrote: »
    It's very black and white. I've had a reply from the Citizens Advice Consumer Service. The car sold by a trader should be 'free from fault.'
    It doesn't matter even if there was no mention of air con in the advert (as one post says) The customer only has to prove there is a fault ie the air con isn't working and that they haven't damaged it by misuse ie smashing the controls. If it's before 30 days you're also entitled to a full refund
    Wrong. To specifically excludes wear and tear and also if goods aren't described as having features don't just assume it has it or its working.
    It's NOT as black and white man's that at all.

You have a case, but don't start assuming young age right fornevery little bit on a used car
  • sjw3915
    Options
    Consumer rights act 2015. Black and white. Car must be 'fault free' as defined by Citizens Advice. If you bought a car from a trader (not private) for market value then, unless the fault was described, the trader is responsible for it. If for instance you bought a car and reported the air con as faulty the next day, provided you haven't smashed the controls, the trader is 100 percent responsible. As a customer you also have an additional right to a full refund within 30 days.
  • sjw3915
    Options
    Wear and tear would cover things like scratches to bodywork or tyres and even things like cambelts, but not air con. This even applies to second hand cars when sold by traders. The only possible exception would be if you paid considerably less than market value for a car. Citizens Advice were very clear in stating that a second hand car as sold by a trader must be sold fault free unless the fault is described.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure