PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What would you need to know as a LL if a tenant wanted an OH to move in?

Options
124»

Comments

• FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The attitude is because the LL is not the tenants mum or dad. It's nothing to do with them
    Yeah, but every time a tenant wants something here that the LL doesn't have to give, we always suggest the 'tea and cake' approach, so returning the suggestion here.

What does OP got to lose telling her LL? She does have something to gain by being considerate though by providing them with relevant information.
  • paddypaws101
    paddypaws101 Posts: 2,093 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    I'm sure it isn't unusual. A more relevant question is whether it's enforceable.
    Maybe not through a Section 8 but certainly enough of a breach of contract to push many landlords into serving section 21.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    My tenancy agreements include a clause which state that only the named tenants can reside at the property and I don't think that is an unusual clause.
    Nor is it an enforceable clause.....
  • Guest101
    Options
    Maybe not through a Section 8 but certainly enough of a breach of contract to push many landlords into serving section 21.
    In which case where's the upside of telling them?
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    In which case where's the upside of telling them?

If everyone followed your advised they would be waiting for a section 21 get evicted via the courts then having to pay more letting fees, getting a poor reference (if any) from the previous LL again and again.

Sometimes it's worth following the LLs reasonable requests to live a quiet and less stressful life.
  • Guest101
    Options
    aneary wrote: »
    If everyone followed your advised they would be waiting for a section 21 - Well how else does one know the LL doesn't want them there any longer? get evicted via the courts - the ONLY way to be evicted? then having to pay more letting fees - that's optional , getting a poor reference (if any) from the previous LL again and again. - funnily enough, in over a decade of renting, I've never been served with a s.21 notice and have never had any issues, despite following my own advice on how to deal with LLs. Once I had a LL try to withhold my deposit. It was laughable, she accused me of harassment for using the arbitration service.

Sometimes it's worth following the LLs reasonable requests to live a quiet and less stressful life.

I guess that's where we disagree, I don't think this is a reasonable request.
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure whether Guest101 is being bloody minded, difficult for the sake of it, or here for 5 minute argument or the full half an hour! But there is little merit in being stubborn for a sake of it, and taking a contrary position that could risk damaging a good tenant - LL landlord relationship.

Certainly as far as landlord insurance goes, one of the questions is 'number of occupants' and whether they are employed / not employed / asylum seeker etc. The quote will change depending on this The landlord is also under an obligation to inform their insurance company of any material changes which may affect the tenancy. I would have concerns about voiding that insurance if extra occupants sneak in.

I cannot really see any merit behind Guest101's position, at the very least good manners cost nothing, and most landlords wish to know who is living in the house - as do most LL insurance policies.

I think the original poster shows good manners and consideration for her LL, and I think they should as a courtesy inform them.
  • Guest101
    Options
    bxboards wrote: »
    I'm not sure whether Guest101 is being bloody minded, difficult for the sake of it, or here for 5 minute argument or the full half an hour! - I prefer ...is being accurate. But there is little merit in being stubborn for a sake of it, and taking a contrary position that could risk damaging a good tenant - LL landlord relationship. - indeed, a business relationship which has no scope to enter ones personal life.

Certainly as far as landlord insurance goes, one of the questions is 'number of occupants' and whether they are employed / not employed / asylum seeker etc. - How would the LL know when this status changes? The quote will change depending on this The landlord is also under an obligation to inform their insurance company of any material changes which may affect the tenancy. - That is something for the LL to deal with, not the tenant. I would have concerns about voiding that insurance if extra occupants sneak in. - How does that affect the tenant?

I cannot really see any merit behind Guest101's position, at the very least good manners cost nothing, and most landlords wish to know who is living in the house - as do most LL insurance policies. - I wish for a million pounds.....

I think the original poster shows good manners and consideration for her LL, and I think they should as a courtesy inform them.
    Read the board a bit more and you'll work out my position.
  • Merrie
    Merrie Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Just to add, if and when he does move in with all his belongings you will have to let the council know anyway, for the council tax reduction. I know you are going to tell them, just don't delay it.
    Good luck to you both :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport