What is the Claim Payout Limit on Car Insurance in the UK, generally?

Options
2»

Comments

• tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I can't see any limit mentioned. It says that there is no requirement for cover above £1m to be given, so effectively the minimum cover for property damage is £1m. Aretnap is right as far as I can see.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • maddogb
    maddogb Posts: 473 Forumite
    Options
    I can't see any limit mentioned. It says that there is no requirement for cover above £1m to be given, so effectively the minimum cover for property damage is £1m. Aretnap is right as far as I can see.

think it's all down to perspective, yes it's the minimum cover but it's also the maximum that can be recovered if the insurers stick with minimum (statutory) requirements.
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    maddogb wrote: »
    think it's all down to perspective, yes it's the minimum cover but it's also the maximum that can be recovered if the insurers stick with minimum (statutory) requirements.
    Not so much perspective as mixing up the terms "limit" and "minimum". Yes, the £1m is a "limit" on those policies are restricted to that cover, but policies can have more than that as their limit. Therefore, the "limit" on third party property claims that a policy can have mustbe at least £1m, ie that is the "minimum" limit. (Bloody hell I'm beginning to sound like Sir Humphrey Appleby. :D)
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • alchemist.1
    alchemist.1 Posts: 860 Forumite
    Options
    Watch out for a high policy excess (in the thousands on some policies) and some of them even applicable to third party claims.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure