Redundancy Notice interpretation

Options
Redundancy is now confirmed for me and there's been a bit of debate on what the notice clause in my contract works out as so looking for some opinions on what you think this clause equates to for someone with 7 years notice:

'One calendar month. After four years' continuous service the notice entitlement from the company increased by one week for each year of continuous employment, up to a maximum of 12.'

I know the terms of statutory notice - there's a debate around whether this accurately defines statutory or is more than that.

Possible interpretations:
  • 7 weeks (ie statutory) although i struggle to see how that could be interpreted from the clause.
  • One calendar month plus 3 weeks
  • one calendar month plus 7 weeks

Thoughts?

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    It is fairly clear the intention is 1 month then statutory for 5-12. (1 week per year

Thats what a court will probably decide

to claim you start out with a month, the as you clock up 4 years you go to month+4weeks up to 12 total at 8 years won't wash.
  • jamielmdjs
    jamielmdjs Posts: 435 Forumite
    Options
    It is fairly clear the intention is 1 month then statutory for 5-12. (1 week per year

Thats what a court will probably decide

to claim you start out with a month, the as you clock up 4 years you go to month+4weeks up to 12 total at 8 years won't wash.

Thanks for replying. It's just really badly worded. Most well written notice clauses use words like 'thereafter or subsequent' or something like that to make it clear.

They are saying it's 7 weeks flat (ie statutory) which tells me they aren't really looking at the clause and just claiming statutory (as it says increase 'by' not increase 'to') so at worse it'll be 1 calendar plus 3 weeks.

Going by that i believe them to be wrong - i just wanted to check HOW wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure