Student loan problem

Hi all,

I'd be really grateful if somebody could offer me advice.

My son enrolled on a BEng course in Electronic Engineering course four years ago. (I forgot to mention that prior to this, he completed a one year Foundation course).

He passed first year, but unfortunately failed a couple of second year modules, which he resat and passed in year three. During this third year, he had to undergo quite traumatic surgery, which led to him missing a whole term.

At this point, his lecturer recommended switching to a Robotic Engineering degree, due to him missing a large portion of the study which would be required for his final year.

Up to this point, the SLC had paid all the fees.

After putting in a hell of a lot of work in his fourth year, he succeeded in getting a BEng in Robotic Engineering. However, because the course code changed at the beginning of his final year, they are refusing to pay his fees, saying that it was a new course (irrespective of the fact that the first two years modules were the same for both courses).

So he now finds himself unable to claim his degree, or apply for a Masters or Phd until the £9000 is paid.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Apply for the funding under the new code.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure