Thinking of giving up work to go on benefits

Options

Comments

• BennyB_2
    BennyB_2 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    dearbarbie wrote: »
    I think that in all fairness, a lot less people would work given the choice. I personally would get bored if I didn't, but if I gave up work I would volunteer my time instead.

But do you think it's fair for the rest of us to pay for these people to live?

No, I don't think that we should, but the Government could be a bit more pro-active and maybe create jobs. Even if its just a job that's there for the sake of it. Sorting pebbles into different and colours & sizes for 2 hours a day would be a start Make them earn their benefits.
  • astonsmummy
    astonsmummy Posts: 14,219 Forumite
    Options
    Blatant troll.
    Someone on 30k and living in a council house where i'm guessing the rent is no more than £400 a month (mines £430 on a HA house)
    What the hell is he spending his money on?
    Why am i even bothering, he's a troll :doh:
    :j Baby boy Number 2, arrived 12th April 2009!:j
  • MissMotivation
    Options
    If this is a genuine post then people like you make me sick!!

I am a single Mum, I work an average of 50 hours a week with a 2 hour commute each day and then I go home and start again with looking after my Daughter, I take home almost the same per year (depending on how busy I am).

When I've paid for Childcare, Petrol, Clothes for work, lunches etc I am probably worse off than someone on Income Support.......why do I do it? It's called respect! Respect for myself and for my Daughter.

I could sit on my a** all day watching Jeremy Kyle whilst claiming every benefot available but I don't want to and I don't want my Daughter growing up thinking that is acceptable either.

Grow some b**** and stop moaning, there are people far worse off than you.

Benefits are there for people that genuinely need them......not as an option to not working!

Rant over!
    My home is usually the House Buying, Renting and Selling Forum where I can be found trying to (sometimes unsucessfully) prove that not all Estate Agents are crooks. With 20 years experience of Sales/Lettings and having bought and sold many of my own properties I've usually got something to say ;)
    Ignore......check!
  • newcook
    newcook Posts: 5,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I work 40 hours a week aswell. I only get £16k. each evening I get back home and get about an hour and a half to spend with OH before we are both so tired we are in bed by 9.

yes we moan about how little we get to spend with each other but we would never go on the dole just because we cant be asked!!!!
    OH has only just returned to work after being off for 8 months with stress, anxiety and depression - Its no fun being sat at home all day long every day (I'm told!)
    You want to try supporting a household (no children) on 16k - it would be soooo much easier if I had a salary of £30k.
  • bookemdano
    bookemdano Posts: 2,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Glen0000 wrote: »
    Get caught? You are joking aren't you? I must have reported about 8 people over the years, not one of them has been pulled up. Most of them have been" on the sick" 5+ years while still doing jobs on the side.

Thats what I mean. The govenment couldn't care less, why should I not join them?

Your attitude stinks mate. Do you think I like getting up a 6am to get home at 8pm.............NO!!!!!!!!! Unless you win the Lotto what other option is there?:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings

:xmastree::xmastree::xmastree:
  • bookemdano
    Options
    dearbarbie wrote: »
    I think that in all fairness, a lot less people would work given the choice. I personally would get bored if I didn't, but if I gave up work I would volunteer my time instead.

But do you think it's fair for the rest of us to pay for these people to live?

I have no problem whatsoever with people claiming benefits if they can't work because of health problems etc but to claim because you cannot be bothered makes me f***ing !!!!ed:mad:
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings

• bookemdano
    Options
    filigree wrote: »
    Troll time again :rolleyes:

At some point in the future I'll have to give up work for good, because I've got a genuine disability. I'm not looking forward to the day when I can't work and I'm stuck at home doing nothing. As long as I'm reasonably well I intend to make the most of it, and that includes working. Speaking as someone who is genuinely disabled I think it's sick and twisted that someone would fake a disability because they think it's more fun to stay at home. You should be grateful for your good health. It's people like that who give genuine claimants a bad name.

I've got terminal cancer yet I still work every day for £15K gross, but someone on £30K is whining because they don't have enough time to do the DIY? Get a ****ing grip, you have it easy.

I hope I don't sound patronising but I am genuinely humbled after reading your post. I'm not sure how I would cope in your position. Thankyou for your post.:D

• dearbarbie
    dearbarbie Posts: 566 Forumite
    Options
    BennyB wrote: »
    No, I don't think that we should, but the Government could be a bit more pro-active and maybe create jobs. Even if its just a job that's there for the sake of it. Sorting pebbles into different and colours & sizes for 2 hours a day would be a start Make them earn their benefits.

There are plenty of jobs. How come people are coming here from the rest of the world and finding employment? Half of the people in my office are South African/Spanish/Italian/Kiwi/Aussi/Indian/French/Polish...
    :A
  • dearbarbie
    dearbarbie Posts: 566 Forumite
    Options
    bookemdano wrote: »
    I hope I don't sound patronising but I am genuinely humbled after reading your post. I'm not sure how I would cope in your position. Thankyou for your post.:D

I agree. The Op seems to have vanished...
    :A
  • Curv
    Curv Posts: 2,572 Forumite
    Options
    Glen0000 wrote: »
    You don't get paid £30k a year if you only want to work office hours.

Sorry to appear picky, but what you said isn't true. My (pre-mat leave) salary was just over £30K plus bonus in exchange for 35 hours of my time, somewhere between the hours of 9:00am and 5:00pm, Monday to Friday.
    Things I wouldn't say to your face

Not my real name
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family