MSE Poll: What proportion of your income is spent on your mortgage/rent?

Poll started 4 July 2017

What proportion of your income is spent on your mortgage/rent?

Take what you pay on your mortgage or rent (include any service charges, ground rent, but NOT council tax, insurance or other bills) and work out roughly what percentage of your monthly take-home pay/income it is.

If you have joint finances that are intertwined then give your costs as a proportion of household income.

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• Pmarmalade
    Pmarmalade Posts: 175 Forumite
    22%. I feel misrepresented as having to tick the 'up to 30% box' :p
  • tizerbelle
    tizerbelle Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Pmarmalade wrote: »
    22%. I feel misrepresented as having to tick the 'up to 30% box' :p

Snap! Well 21.6% but rounding up it's the same and felt the same as well!
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I was 19.95% so only just in the 10 - 20% box!
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Cleared my mortgage years ago then concentrated on building my savings to a level that I could retire from work.

I am now happily on the lowest income that I have been on since I was an apprentice in 1977 :T
  • About 70% for me!
  • none paid it off
    Nothing to see here, move along.
  • As at this time - I see there are 9% of people voted as owning own home and paying out an enormous percentage of their income on mortgage payments.

I do see a flaw in that statistic.

There is a huge difference between someone only earning, say, £200 per week and paying out a really high percentage of their income on mortgage payments = they are left with not enough money to live on

On the other hand: someone else could be paying out, say, 90% of their income on mortgage payments and it wouldnt matter (ie because their income was, say, £20,000 per week and therefore they would still have £2,000 per week left to live on and they wouldnt have a problem therefore).
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    One flaw is "how people see themselves". Many people think of themselves as paying the rent or mortgage alone, in a household of two .... so would say "I earn £1500 and my rent is £1000" - omitting entirely that their OH pays the council tax, pays all the bills and food and holidays etc and earns £3000.

I have many friends who think that way and see their money only paying for XYZ in a household.
  • rather disheartening that nearly 3/4 of social tenants pay nothing :-( surely even if your income is very small then you should pay a small contribution? We're lucky to have moved to a cheaper part of the country in order to afford to buy a decent house, but we still pay about 30% of income on the mortgage, with very little chance of ever paying it off fully before retirement, and will probably have to sell our home to pay off the mortgage and move somewhere else - no guaranteed home for life here :-(
  • Ah, hideously flawed polls - it's not finding anything about the general population - just those who are on MSE and feel happy enough to share information.

If anything, this is just gathering information on who uses MSE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport