Views please on £280k investment portfolio

Options
123457»

Comments

• BananaRepublic
    Options
    Re my expectations, 8% would be about half of how these funds have performed over the last five years.

We have had a long bull run since the last crash. So it is quite possible that funds would achieve significantly less growth over the next five years.
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Banana, I wrote that back in July when I was just starting out. A lot of water and many threads have flowed under the bridge since then. Not sure why neverists resuscitated this thread but of the funds I mentioned in my first post I now only hold two, one of which is Baillie Gifford Japan Trust, and while the Legg Mason fund looks great fun I think I'll stay put.
  • BananaRepublic
    Options
    Is there a template for how to do a robust stress test? How do you set scenarios?

I have been looking at managed funds' holdings and seen fundamental differences. Looking at the top ten holdings of the three funds I mentioned above, Royal London picks individual stocks; Ballie Gifford uses its in-house funds and some individual stock picking; Hawksmoor uses other companies’ funds (Jupiter, Henderson etc.). Interesting.

A crude method is to look at the returns from a given index over a range of 5 year periods, such as 2000-2005, 2001-2006 and so on, but use as large a date range as you can. You could just look at the value of the index, but that ignores dividends. However, it would at least give you a measure of the expected variation. This of course assumes a fund that tracks the index.
  • BananaRepublic
    Options
    Banana, I wrote that back in July when I was just starting out. A lot of water and many threads have flowed under the bridge since then. Not sure why neverists resuscitated this thread but of the funds I mentioned in my first post I now only hold two, one of which is Baillie Gifford Japan Trust, and while the Legg Mason fund looks great fun I think I'll stay put.

Okay Room, point taken. However, to assume that recent past gains in the Japanese market will continue is optimistic, unless it forms a modest proportion of your portfolio.
  • cynicaldoc
    Options
    Very interesting reading for a newbie. I have kept my portfolio very simple, albeit active after a lot of reading herein and elsewhere.

2/3 in Lindsell Train Global Equity and 1/3 in SMT. I realise there are fees that are higher than Vanguard (which I did hold initially) but for me, at the moment, those fees are relatively small as my portfolio is currently relatively small.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure