Can landlord enter property/redecorate while we still hold tenancy & keys but empty?

2»

Replies

• pmlindyloopmlindyloo Forumite
    13K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AdrianC wrote: »
    If they've been in there already redecorating, then it won't be reasonable to do any inventory now - because the property isn't in the condition you left it. I'd say that they've accepted there's no damage beyond normal wear and tear, and you should get full deposit back.

I would agree with this. Why would you have to clean up after workmen had been in?

I would be inclined to make a time line of events, particularly when you were asked for the keys back. if this was the same day as the telephone call then it would be an unreasonable amount of time to do anything - not even 24 hrs notice.

Perhaps the only thing that they could argue about would be grass cutting as this should have been done on a regular basis? But, it seems that they did not inform you that workmen would be going in so, to be honest, there seems to have been miscommunication on both sides.

I slightly disagree with previous answers in that your parents were legally still tenants and paying their rent so in theory, permission should have been sought to enter the property. However, in practice this doesn't seem worth bringing up, unless, of course, there is a disagreement about returning the deposit.

But, do keep a timeline of events including the dates of rent payments - just in case there is a dispute.

With luck this will all go smoothly.
  • Hazzoura22Hazzoura22 Forumite
    47 Posts
    If they've been in there already redecorating, then it won't be reasonable to do any inventory now - because the property isn't in the condition you left it. I'd say that they've accepted there's no damage beyond normal wear and tear, and you should get full deposit back.

Thanks Adrian, that's what we thought but tried to get it in writing from the EA that they were happy with condition and cleanliness at the time of redecorating but she refuses to give any clarity on the inventory, at one point saying we should have left it as intended when we moved last belongings out, then in another email saying we should be going in to make it presentable short notice in time for new tenants moving in. So there seems to be no inventory?
  • AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    42.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hazzoura22 wrote: »
    Ps we did notify about the smell as soon as it happened but were told it was a neighbouring cellar and nothing their landlord could do and they just had to live with it. We felt this was unfair that we and no one else would like to live there with the smell...
    What do you expect the landlord to do about a smell from next door?

What would YOU do if you owned the property...?
  • edited 1 July 2017 at 10:16AM
    Hazzoura22Hazzoura22 Forumite
    47 Posts
    edited 1 July 2017 at 10:16AM
    What do you expect the landlord to do about a smell from next door?

What would YOU do if you owned the property...?

Exactly why we told my SIL to back off with that complaint as there was no point going down that route, it was just our bad luck. It did actually leak into our cellar and workmen were in and out while they were still living there putting chemicals down etc, so very inconvenient and unpleasant. But yes at the end of the day, not landlords problem.
  • ThePants999ThePants999 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Can I just say what a pleasant change it is to see an OP be so reasonable in the face of everyone telling them they're wrong!
  • Can I just say what a pleasant change it is to see an OP be so reasonable in the face of everyone telling them they're wrong!

Haha! Thanks! :) I do try to be reasonable and admit if I'm in the wrong :)
  • AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    42.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hazzoura22 wrote: »
    Haha! Thanks! :) I do try to be reasonable and admit if I'm in the wrong :)
    Few more with that attitude, and this'd be SO much nicer a place!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid pass scam robbed grandfather of £25k

He got his money back after MSE intervened

MSE News

20,000 FREE Ideal Home Show tickets

For London, Fri 11 Mar to Sun 27 Mar

MSE Deals