Best 5.7+ inch phone with Band 20 at a reasonable price?

in Techie Stuff
26 replies 2.6K views
motorguymotorguy Forumite
22.3K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite
Running a Galaxy Note 4. Love it but getting itchy fingers to change it.

Want something at least as big. I've looked at a Galaxy S8+ but its not doing it for me?

Anyone any suggestions - not adverse to a good chinese import but it must have Band 20 as i'm o2...

Replies

• RumRatRumRat Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    S8+ is a brilliant phone, what is it that's not doing it for you?
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • pogofishpogofish Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Forumite
    Maybe MSE should consider starting a Phone Forum - where all the discussion on the latest and best value phones and deals could be kept in one place for ease of use?
  • Johnmcl7Johnmcl7 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm also a Note 4 owner but struggling to find something to 'upgrade' to, for me it's between the S8+ and the LG V20. The LG is only available as a grey import but is the closest to a Note 4 successor and one of the last flagships to have a replaceable battery. It also has a decent DAC and an ultrawide camera.

I'm leaning towards the S8+ for the larger screen (bigger screen is one of the main features I want) and UK support, I'm not keen on a grey import with LG's recent reputation nor the 5.7in IPS screen.

John
  • SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    Guys I don't follow Samsung closely but I have heard chatter that the note 8 will be coming out later this year, maybe August or September. If you can hold off and save the money then wait till then.
  • RumRatRumRat Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    They are releasing refurbished Note 7's and are calling it the 'Fan Edition'.
    Might be worth a wait...
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • kwikbreakskwikbreaks Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Forumite
    pogofish wrote: »
    Maybe MSE should consider starting a Phone Forum - where all the discussion on the latest and best value phones and deals could be kept in one place for ease of use?
    I could hear the wheee from here as this one soared over all those heads when you mentioned the MSE mobile phone forum
  • motorguymotorguy Forumite
    22.3K Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks for the replies so far.

I've no particular issue with paying the money for an S8+ but i dont think its "perfect" - well for me anyway.

The issues i have with it are :-
    • i dont particularly like the chocolate bar shape.
    • I dont like that the "official" case clips around the phone - the one for the Note 4 replaces the entire back cover and is much neater (which was one of the advantages of the Note 4 IMHO)
    • I'm not convinced that paying the asking price is getting me features over and above what others might offer (accepting that they can now be bought for just over £600 so not too bad now)
    • I'm not convinced its that much better than the Note 4?

I guess the last one is the one i struggle with every potential replacement for the Note 4?
    22.3K Posts
    Forumite
    john22 wrote: »
    Guys I don't follow Samsung closely but I have heard chatter that the note 8 will be coming out later this year, maybe August or September. If you can hold off and save the money then wait till then.

Yes, that might be an option but it'll be crazy list price and little discount for months.
    22.3K Posts
    Forumite
    Well, problem solved for me. My o2 contract is due to expire in the next month or two, so i've signed up to the latest BT Mobile offer.

I'm getting 20GB data, unlimited texts, unlimited calls for £16 per month and a £100 Amazon voucher. Its a one year contract, so £7.66 per month.

Because BT Mobile use the EE network it removed the Band 20 restriction for me that i had with o2, and the global version of the Xiaomi Mi MIX 6.4 inch with the 256GB storage and 6GB RAM works in 4G here just fine, so i've opted for it.

Ordered from banggood.com for £425 delivered.

:beer:
  • werewere Forumite
    632 Posts
    Forumite
    this looks interesting, but unsure if it supports band 20, but it is well priced
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5FYH9_BI5c
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals