Plaster boarding

Options
I am plaster boarding the wall to the side/underneath the stairs. It is a damp outside wall (170 year old cottage) which previously had lime and horse hair plaster that was falling off.

Under the stairs I have used battens then insulated plaster board (27mm). There isn't enough space for this on the wall higher up as the gap between the brick wall and the wooden edge of the stairs varies from 3 - 6cm (wall is bowed).

What do you think I should do for the wall to the side of the stairs? I was looking at the foil backed board but haven't space for battens. I saw some metal grippy strip things but have never used those before - has anyone else?

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    As you have solid brick (stone ?) walls with an existing damp problem, plasterboard is the last thing you want to be sticking up.

Hemp or cork lime plaster will give you a small amount of insulation, not a lot, but something is better than nothing. The lime plaster will also allow the wall to "breath" as long as the outside hasn't been coated with cement render (including K Rend) or a modern masonry paint.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,156 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The outside was rendered (sadly) in the 80s. The living room was battened with kingspan then plaster board 5 years ago and that's been fine. Before that, you'd get paint (that never dried) and bits of plaster stuck to your clothing if you brushed past.
  • ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Use tile backer board.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts