We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping slugs off your strawberries

This is a tip I thought I'd share with you all for keeping slugs off your strawberries. It actually comes from my wife and she uses it in our garden.

When planting your strawberry plants, plant some garlic ones between them - slugs don't like the garlic and stay away from it (and the strawberries), and you don't get any taste of garlic on the strawberries when you pick them.

Comments

• unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Slugs eat the garlic in my garden !

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • madjackslam
    madjackslam Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Slugs eat the garlic in my garden !

That's what I was thinking. I've heard of the recipe where you boil up garlic bulbs and then use the liquid as a slug deterrent spray. I was tempted to try it this year, but one of the things that the slugs love in my garden is alliums of all sorts.

I must confess that this year I've been using slug pellets, carefully, ie, scatteringly relatively few around plants, starting from Valentine's Day. It's been very effective, and has even solved some of the failings that I hadn't been attributing to slugs/snails.
  • Drachenfach
    Drachenfach Posts: 171 Forumite
    I've given up on my strawbs this year. The slugs have had the lot, despite pellets, eggshells, late night slug hunts- I don't know where they're coming from! Having eaten all the strawberries they're now moving on to my sprouting broccoli :(

I'm thinking of borrowing next door's ducks for an hour or so and seeing if they can make some inroads.

Next year I'll put the strawberries up in hanging baskets - lets see the slimy little beggars get up there!
  • BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    We got so fed up we only plant strawberries in hanging baskets now. Now just the birds and the squirrels we have to worry about.
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    That's what I was thinking. I've heard of the recipe where you boil up garlic bulbs and then use the liquid as a slug deterrent spray. I was tempted to try it this year, but one of the things that the slugs love in my garden is alliums of all sorts.

I must confess that this year I've been using slug pellets, carefully, ie, scatteringly relatively few around plants, starting from Valentine's Day. It's been very effective, and has even solved some of the failings that I hadn't been attributing to slugs/snails.
    We've definitely got garlic bulbs planted between our strawberry plants (I say "we", but it's Mrs MothballsWallet who's the fruit & veg grower in our house as her family had an allotment where they grew lots of their own fruit & veg) and it is working.

The birds still get in and have some fruit, but no slugs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure