Hanging Bass guitars on stud walls ...

Howdy !
I know you can get traditional hangers for guitars etc . However, I am in a bit of a quandary as to how to hang / put my bass guitars on a wall . I have 6 basses ( 2 of those are more like ornaments tbh).

The problems I have are twofold : 1) The three most important basses are headless , meaning they can't be hung on hooks like ordinary guitars .(Think '80s:) )
2) The weight of the basses . Probably around 10lbs . On stud walls,
how much of an issue is that ?

Also , being headless basses means they will have to be on their sides horizontally rather than vertically .

Please advise.

Comments

• MisterP123
    MisterP123 Posts: 229 Forumite
    Woodies guitar hangers should be able to mount the headless ones anyway way want. OR these as an alternative http://www.hangemhigh.net/

And that weight on a stud wall won't be a problem, just use the correct fixings. Be nice if you could find the studs and go straight into them but even plasterboard should comfortably take it.
  • MisterP123 wrote: »
    Woodies guitar hangers should be able to mount the headless ones anyway way want. OR these as an alternative http://www.hangemhigh.net/

And that weight on a stud wall won't be a problem, just use the correct fixings. Be nice if you could find the studs and go straight into them but even plasterboard should comfortably take it.

Thanks mister:)
    They look really cool . It's an American website so I may track down U.K. Equivalent.
    Regarding woodies : I just looked on the gear for music website , and noticed their hangers . Apparently, they hang via the guitar button.
    Cheap and cheerful . Or so it seems .
    I looked at hangers for my two normal basses and must say , the hand design looks really good :) a bit pricey though , but the model does show a bass guitar being hung , so sturdy enough :)
  • The weight will be fine - by hanging them horizontally over two supports you'll be spreading the load anyway compared to one hanging vertically from a single hook. If you can screw into a stud even better, otherwise just use decent fixings - I recommend Rawl 4 All plugs. You could use Grip-It fixings but they are probably overkill.
  • lush_walrus
    lush_walrus Posts: 1,975 Forumite
    Has the plasterboard any ply behind it? If you are going to hang anything of weight off of a lightweight partition you should line with ply. To hang them off of plasterboard is a bit of a risk. It's not designed to take weight. Maybe speak to British gypsum technical support and see if they can advise on the weight the plasterboard can take and the type of fixing ls to use.
  • Kiran
    Kiran Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    https://reverb.com/item/5640661-custom-hanger-for-headless-guitar It wouldn't be too difficult to make one of these, not necessarily our of plastic but you could certainly create something out of wood and potentially stain it.
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
  • Thanks for all the responses folks.
    I've spoken to my builder , who thinks it won't be a problem .
    ( only been in this flat 3 weeks;) )
    Those sites listed above are American , which is unfortunate . At the moment , it looks like woodies is the way to go .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure