PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Thursday 29 June 2017

nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 29 June 2017 at 6:24AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Thursday 29 June 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Light, but very dull and overcast but not raining at the moment, has dried up underfoot surprisingly quickly after the continous rain from yesterday and the night before. Forecast is not great though, so expecting rain again today and tomorrow at some point.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit.

Dinner last night was gammon, egg, roasted potatoes and peas, tonight I'm not sure but do have some jacket potatoes that need using up, maybe I'll buy a quiche and serve that hot with jacket potatoes. I'll sort it later when I go out.

Yesterday work was busy in the morning but then was quite quiet in the afternoon, but that was the last of the extra hours, so will be just working my contracted hours from now. I'm now on days' off until Monday.

So, on to today -

I have an opticians appointment first thing to collect my new glasses, then just my normal visit to the building society and bank, I'll call in a SM on the way home to get something for tonight's dinner, then get home and get stuck in with the housework, washing, drying and ironing, I'm going to have to use the TD to some extent as the weather's not good enough to get the washing line dried or to have it on the airer inside the house, it's turned quite cool here. At least I'll be able to get it done and away. I will just go at my own pace.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Morning All

Thanks for the start nmlc, enjoy your days off.

Just one more sleep till the holidays! Just getting ready to go for a swim to set me up for the day. We have the leavers' assembly this morning, usually quite a sad affair but to be quite honest they are a horrible group of children so will be glad to see them go! It's also their 'night' later on, can't believe a group of 11/12 year olds go and have their hair, nails and tan done for 2 hours in a village hall. Gosh, I sound such a bitter old bag!

I went to visit friends at the top of the Loch after work to pay for the French house I'm going to next week, it was a lovely drive and didn't rain for a change.

Hope you all have a good day, take care. XX
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,011 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Morning all.

Thanks for the thread nmlc.

I slept well again and woke early. Now I'm about to start a cookathon to get some meals in the freezer.

Later this morning I've got a PVG check to do followed by a quick visit to the shop for milk. In the afternoon the joiner is calling

round with the pelmet for the front door curtain and the box to hide the electric meter gubbins. There's a tiny bit of uni work to finish off this morning before my colleague goes off for the summer. Still not received the second marking stuff from the other chap, his course finished on 08 June so he's really late. :mad:

If the rain holds off I'll potter in the garden a bit, just need to do snail patrol now that the ground elder has been defeated. :j

Happy Thursday to all.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Morning everyone,

Thank you for starting us off nmlc

I’ve managed a really good nights sleep, I find I am sleeping much better again since it cooled down.

Judi That all sounds really positive about Prodical.
    Tru I’m glad I’m not the only one that has a collection of old scruffy clothes that are kept as ‘house clothes’.

I decided to spend some time yesterday batch cooking some things for the freezer. It felt too cold to do anything outside. I managed to get some goulash, lamb casserole and chicken casseroles cooked and frozen, so at least I now have some homemade ready meals if I don’t feel like cooking.

Today I need to go to the local plumbers merchants and get a part for my shower. The ‘thingy’ that holds the shower head snapped yesterday evening when I was using it. So I had water spurting all over the bathroom while I tried to hurriedly switch it off. Unfortunately this took a little while because I had just shampooed my hair and couldn’t see. It must have looked highly comical. It took a good hour to clean up the bathroom.

The forecast for today is for a dry day so I have got a load in the washing machine and will put that out before I go out.

Time for another cup of tea and some breakfast before I get on with the day.

I hope that you all have a good Thursday whatever you are doing.
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread nmlc, hugs to Dumpling, Nelski and anyone else in need.

Washing machine delivered to tenant at 7am yesterday, it all went ti ts up, not her fault but we got it sorted eventually.

DD had to have her 14yo staffy PTS yesterday, long story that I've posted on the fence thread, I went with her and we both wept buckets.

I made some sausage rolls yesterday, I managed to burn a couple as the oven doesn't cook evenly but the rest were ok. I'm making fairy cakes tonight!

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Morning folks and thanks NMLC. It rained non-stop all day yesterday, through the night and is still at it! OK the gardens have had enough now!

The 2 youngest DGDS are still in the land of nod but will be to waken up shortly. Once they have been dispatched to school I have the pleasure of the weekly shop to do, I really am trying to keep it to a minimum this week. Too much spending has been going on recently.

Despite the rain, my friend and I had a lovely day out yesterday. I got stocked up on birthday cards in the Cancer Research shop as they had a new selection in but I managed to avoid buying any more books! Our usual hostelry was packed so we had to eat elsewhere but it was very nice and the bottle of wine we shared went down a treat!

All 3 DGDs are here tonight (after the usual swimming/diving clubs) so the mince is defrosting in readiness for the customary Bolognese Bake. I daren't make anything else as there would be a riot!

Might just have time for another quick coffee before I get them up so (HUGS) to all the poorlies, sad and worried who want them. SILVER-OLDIE that was such a sweet a comment from your DH, bless him. Take care all xxxx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Good Morning all and thanks to nmlc for kick-starting the day . Another month has almost disappeared and we are halfway through the year already .I swear time is speeding up the older I get :) Perhaps its just that I enjoy life so much that I cram too much into it ,memo to myself : I must slow down and smell the roses :):):)

Well a little cloudy this morning ,but brightening up by the minute and I can clearly see the River Medway from my window which is always a good sign of fair weather(who needs the met office :))

This morning is shall be doing a bit of housework as its cooler (never bother much when its too warm) Not that there is much to do,probably put a wash on and get it out on the line before breakfast. Then at lunchtime I shall go to DDs and see what sort of damage the rains have inflicted on her garden and on promise of cooking him some lunch I will get DGS Henry to change his bed and bedroom etc as his big brother comes home from Uni tomorrow and Henry goes back into share with DGS Jack for awhile.Jack has the second double bedroom and DGS Ben will want his single room back for awhile as he is home.

Really looking forward to seeing Ben if only for a few days as he is flying off to Canada next Wednesday to see his girlfriend for a few weeks.She has been out there since May doing an internship at the museum in Montreal.Whilst out there the two of them will be going down to New York to see his cousin Danny for the weekend. I am pleased that all his double shifts and three part-time jobs have enabled him to do this .He is a very hard working lad and to graft as much as he has since Christmas on top of his studies means he is very motivated as well. I shall pop some cash into his bank account for him so he can treat himself while he is out there.

I don't mind as he never ever asks for anything and is a good boy to his Mum.
    Only seven more weeks tomorrow until our family holiday and we are counting the weeks now :):)

Right a cuppa is calling so I hope everyone has a good day and if you are celebrating a birthday or just need a thumbs up then here it is :):):)

Take care all

JackieO xxx
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    Morning all, thank you for starting the thread nmlc.
    I'll be off to work shortly. Another evening out today, I'm looking forward to this one, just 3 of us. Last night's tapas meal was not to my taste, except some big prawns in garlic. The rest was too rich and tomato based, and I accidentally ate something with peppers in, not much, just a couple of bites until I reached the pepper part but even so have had stomach ache since. But it was nice to go out. I won't go there voluntarily again though, didn't think the food was of a high enough quality to justify the cost.
    It is dull here and quite cool, no rain forecast though so the washing (towels) can go on the line and be brought in to air later.
    Must get wiggling but Hester I'm really sorry about your DD's dog.Judi, fingers crossed for Prodigal.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello: [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]redruby Enjoy your day out x[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I only had to throw away one shirt. It had a tiny hole in the front which you couldn't see unless it was pointed out to you. But I reached up for something the other day and the bottom of it must've been caught on something because I fell it pull and it ripped under the arm. I was going to sew it up, thinking it was the seam, but the seam was fine and the material around it looked shredded. It's been worn and washed a lot so I knew it had gone a bit thin but didn't realise it was so weak, lol. A couple of good pairs of leggings have been downgraded because a small hole has appeared in each of them. And a t-shirt has small splashes of bleach so that's been downgraded too. So not too bad for now, I can put off clothes shopping for a while yet. And when I do have to go, I have a gift card so it'll be free anyway :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The others took the pee again yesterday so today I'll be clearing up my things, doing a bit of work, hoovering up the dog fur then watching a film and reading. I'm not going to say anything to them, they don't pay attention anyway and if they do, it's just to keep things tidy for a few days to shut me up then they go back to how they were. So for a while I'm going to live as if I lived alone and see how it goes.[/FONT]

:beer:
    Bulletproof
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Morning all

Been raining here during the night but stopped now, we are off on our day out to watch fast cars and celeb spot :D quite a lot of the rich and famous go there !

Just going to make some rolls up for a picnic and will pack some other bits and bobs, the food there is really expensive.

Not sure about dinner tonight but I think there is some chips in the freezer so it will be a quick shove in the oven when we get back.

Hester I am so sorry to hear about the dog xx

Have good days all xx
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Good morning
    Thanks for starting the thread nmlc.
    Hester so sorry to hear the sad news about DD doggie. It's so hard when they cross the rainbow bridge, hugs.
    Yesterday I went to visit Mother. To try and keep the conversation going I mentioned it's my wedding anniversary soon, and to my surprise mother seemed interested. She even said she would give me some money to go out for something to eat... total shock. This is my Mother who hasn't given me so much as a birthday card in years. Then she asked where are WE going.
    I said it's my anniversary
    Mother, yes but I'm coming too.

We will go out for a meal or afternoon tea, but just the two of us.

Hope you all have a good day.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure