Summer Holidays?

Options
13»

Comments

• clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Options
    I'd try geocaching as well, often it can put a new twist on old walks. If you have an android phone the c:geo app is fantastic and free (and IMHO better than the offical app) - it's led us to find some local hidden gems which were free
  • Loz01
    Loz01 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How about getting some masking tape and sticking it on the floor (works on carpet or lino/wooden floor) to make a long winding track for racing car toys/hot wheels? We used to do that for my nephew when he was little! You can even put it up the sofa as it just peels straight off without leaving any marks.

Do you have a library nearby? Ours do a summer reaching scheme but its just as good to hang out and look at some kids books and check a few out.
  • Happier_Me
    Happier_Me Posts: 563 Forumite
    Options
    I second geocaching. Totally free and there may be 'finds' in walking distance of your house.

I do 'park crawls' with my two and they still love them even though they are 12 and 9 now. We tend to visit three parks in a row or more if you have the energy (you may need to jump in the car), sometimes we take a picnic. Always goes down well.
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As kids tend to be heavy handed bread is a good thing to make (as heavy handed kneeding/playing is gets a good rise) make from scratch or use a mix and make pizza or use double the amount and use the extra to shape rolls for a picknick in the garden/park/living room floor the next day - real cost nothing, as you would need to provide food anyway.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can find some simple kites to make on line, the ones I have done with kids use a sheet of A4 paper, kebab stick, selotape and wool or string and can be flown in the garden if windy or inside if you have a fan.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    After that it's us 2 for the rest of the summer.

Well that's not quite the case if you have a hubby - he will presumably be around for two days of the week (weekend?) and could also take some time off work to either spend time as an entire family, or to give you a break. At least, that's how it works in our household, we have a similar situation with our 8yo ASD/SLD son :)
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • SunnyCyprus
    SunnyCyprus Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You've had some brilliant ideas so far, plenty to fill a few weeks of summer hols!

My added suggestion would be setting aside a particular time of day for the activities, and do this in a visual way. My son, 15 now with Aspergers, still hasn't got the grasp of telling the time, but would ask for his films, games at silly o'clock in the morning...not fun! So I got a simple large faced clock, took the plastic cover off and coloured in the clock, pie-chart style, and coloured in the Hour hand. So, the 3 hour 'slice' from 1-4 was his time to choose activities. If the hour hand wasn't in that slice, then it was time for other jobs, shopping, cooking etc. Just helped to break up the day in a way he could understand.
    (As long as he doesn't wake up at 3am and see the clock in his activity time, all is well!)
    :cool:
    If you want to do something, you will find a way.
    If you don't, then you will find an excuse...
    :cool:
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Are your local council running any summer activities? Ours has a whole program planned, with free or low-cost activities.

If there are woods near you then you can try den building, looking for wildlife etc. If you're near the coast then go to the beach or hunt for rock pools and fossils.

Or just go to the park and play cricket or rounders and have picnics. Or for younger children you can get those velcro mits which make it far easier to play catch.

You could also do simple craft projects, making things from cardboard, string, paints, tissue paper, fabric etc.
  • Octobergirl
    Octobergirl Posts: 345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I also dread any holiday over a week, my now 11 year old has cerebral palsy and sensory processing disorder (the SPD has far more of an impact on our lives). Summer holidays have always been systematically filled to get her out of the house. Days out with the kids is a great site that will give you ideas where to go . I get in free as a carer, and under 5s are also free in many places. Swimming, vue cinema mini morning is cheap. I got a national trust ticket in her name and get in free through access all. Do you have a Max card? This gets you free into places if you have a disability (and often family). Camping....lots of camping! I try to alternate a week at home by a very cheap week away as I can't manage more than a week with her at home.
  • NelliePie
    NelliePie Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My cousin loves to 'paint' the fence with water and a brush - keeps him busy for hours. He also likes to wash his toys with one bowl; full of bubbles and another to rinse then hang them out on the line to dry. A day trip to the local garden center usually goes down well too, looking at the plants and learning the names of the flowers, you may also be able to get a small/cheap pack of seeds and grow them at home for an on going project. A garden center assistant should be able to help pick something suitable. Depending on where you live there are usually local museums, attractions, parks etc that offer free entry.
    Little One born 19/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - £144k mortgage, £134k remaining
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills