credit card with MBNA, I ticked the PPI box, can I claim under Plevin?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
1 reply 1.6K views
KateQKateQ Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
Hello I am new to the forum and finding it difficult to find information as there is so much here, so your help would be appreciated. Sorry if this question has already been covered.

I had a credit card with MBNA for years with a large balance, I finally paid it all off a few years ago. I know I had PPI on this because I was paying about the same amount on the PPI as on the interest , around £150 a month at the worst - I paid thousands in PPI on this over a few years which of course meant it was much harder to pay off. At some point I phoned MBNA and asked to cancel my PPI. The person on the phone said that I shouldn't do that and they would reduce my interest rate instead. I have no record/proof of this of course, and with hindsight should have insisted that it was cancelled, but I was young and naiive. Eventually I paid it off, probably about 8 years ago and I closed the credit card account over a year ago. I didn't have a balance on the card for a long time.

I wrote to MBNA and asked for my original paperwork and they sent it to me. Turns out I ticked the box asking for PPI.

So my questions are:
If I ticked the box, does that mean PPI wasn't mis-sold?
considering I was paying a percentage of my balance as PPI, does that mean the Plevin ruling would help me? will I be able to claim in August?
Is there anything else I could claim for?

Any advice would be great. thanks!

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If I ticked the box, does that mean PPI wasn't mis-sold?

No-one sold it to you. So, you cannot complain it was missold unless there is something wrong with the documentation.
    considering I was paying a percentage of my balance as PPI, does that mean the Plevin ruling would help me? will I be able to claim in August?

Plevin applies to rejected complaints. Not upheld complaints. It also only applies if the commission was above 50% of the premiums. We have only seen one plevin case so far on these forums and it was a rejection (it was card PPI and the commission was less than 50%).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals