Did anyone bag a Mini SNES before they sold out?

Options

Comments

• Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They aren't even worth £80 - the nostalgia factor is the only thing selling these. It is a shame people are paying so much for something that is really not worth it

Most things arent worth what they cost to buy :) You only need to watch dragons den to see the huge margins people have now days.

Manufacture £5
    Distributer £15
    Retailer £40

:)

The value is in what the consumer wants not the cost of manufacture.
  • SuperPikachu
    Options
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    Most things arent worth what they cost to buy :) You only need to watch dragons den to see the huge margins people have now days.

Manufacture £5
    Distributer £15
    Retailer £40

:)

The value is in what the consumer wants not the cost of manufacture.

I have one and I understand the costs involved to make these things. I am literally saying the product is not worth £80 so I hope nobody is overpaying for this because it is really not worth the money. I'm not even especially unhappy with it either, just being honest.
  • Chrysalis
    Options
    I have one and I understand the costs involved to make these things. I am literally saying the product is not worth £80 so I hope nobody is overpaying for this because it is really not worth the money. I'm not even especially unhappy with it either, just being honest.

If you collect nintendo products its invaluable, so you didnt understand what I said.

Also another way of looking at it is someone can buy this for their kid, they got a console "and" 20 games for £80, which is far better value than any modern console.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

How much are they worth then ?
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I picked one up a few weeks ago from Smyths and managed to get the custom firmware on without issue, it's extremely easy to do and the additional games integrate well on the in game interface.

The quality of the controllers is extremely good, a pair of the Buffalo SNES controllers which are generally regarded as good quality would be £35 and they don't feel as good as these ones. I do like that the design of the packaging is very much classic SNES and the little SNES looks perfect, just shrunk down from the original.

I will admit though after some frantic Tetris Attack 2 games, I've not felt much inclination to back to it.

John
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Also another way of looking at it is someone can buy this for their kid, they got a console "and" 20 games for £80, which is far better value than any modern console.

I don't know. I reckon you could pick up a PlayStation 1, 2 or maybe even 3 at a push.

But sure, some people will be happy with paying £80. One just sold on ebay for £201, it received 38 bids. The most expensive one sold on ebay uk is £499 back in september. I don't understand those people at all.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you collect nintendo products its invaluable, so you didnt understand what I said.

I doubt most kids would have any interest in this at all (for starters, it doesn't play minecraft) and the main appeal of the Snes mini is nostalgia to let adults play their old favourites. The games haven't aged as well as I thought and if I was spending money on kids for gaming I'd get them either a selection of games for their tablet or an Xbox 360/PS3 and a range of games. With the new consoles out, the price of the old consoles has plummeted and £80 would get a console and a load of decent games.
  • Chrysalis
    Options
    I have had kids in a party be really addicted to playing on retropie.

Snes era games are very enjoyable, not everyone is addicted to the latest 3d graphics.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have had kids in a party be really addicted to playing on retropie.

Snes era games are very enjoyable, not everyone is addicted to the latest 3d graphics.
    I agree - some platform games can be fun
    As are other retro games - I remember playing Missile Command and Defender back in the early 80's for hours
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

But you can't compare it to a modern console which are far more advanced than this.

If you wanted to buy something for a kid then a £50 android tablet would be far better and even if you ignore all the other features and just look at games. You can get thousands of games, lots of which are far better than any game on the Mini SNES. You also have the advantage of being able to play them without connecting it to a TV.
    You could even run an emulator on it and have every SNES game ever and use a bluetooth SNES controller.

Even if you wanted it for nostalgia value I personally would rather get an original one than this copy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure