We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Tractor Mower Engine "Hunting"

htrj
htrj Posts: 186 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
Hi,

My Westwood T1600 tractor with a Briggs VTwin has started hunting. On investigation the first thing I found was that the fuel filter was disgustingly dirty so I have replaced that. This surprised me as a reputable lawnmower repair shop rebuilt and refitted the carburettor a couple of years ago but apparently left the skanky fuel filter fitted. Perhaps more dirt has gone into the carburettor since it was rebuilt.

Replacing the filter helped a bit but has not fixed the problem. If I put my hand over the air intake for a second to create a seal the engine will run better for a minute or so afterwards but then start hunting again.

Just waiting for it to cool at the moment to have a feel around for any oil leaks etc but I cant see anything at the moment.

What course of action would you take from here?

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Air leaks or wrong fuel/air mixture.

Have you drained the fuel and put fresh fuel in? Carb may need adjustment.

Sounds like it needs a service.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    As already said, fresh fuel might be a good start. Modern fuel with it's ethanol content doesn't seem to keep as well.
    Otherwise sounds like it might be the carb. Strip down, clean with carb cleaner, and compressed air to blow the galleries through if available. You need to have somewhere clean to work when doing this.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    htrj wrote: »
    Hi,

My Westwood T1600 tractor with a Briggs VTwin has started hunting. On investigation the first thing I found was that the fuel filter was disgustingly dirty so I have replaced that. This surprised me as a reputable lawnmower repair shop rebuilt and refitted the carburettor a couple of years ago but apparently left the skanky fuel filter fitted. Perhaps more dirt has gone into the carburettor since it was rebuilt.

Replacing the filter helped a bit but has not fixed the problem. If I put my hand over the air intake for a second to create a seal the engine will run better for a minute or so afterwards but then start hunting again.

Just waiting for it to cool at the moment to have a feel around for any oil leaks etc but I cant see anything at the moment.

What course of action would you take from here?
    To be fair on the service chap, it only take a tank of dirty fuel and the filter is clogged up. Over a couple of years its quite likely to gunge up on a comparatively old machine. A service every couple of years would certainly help if you can't do it yourself.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure