GWD Forestry Investment

Comments

• jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,580 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    HKCAN wrote: »
    I am also a client of GWD. My experience with them is very similar. Although i havent had any payments due yet, im invested in the eucalyptus project in brazil. The harvest is "supposed" to be this fall. Now that i see other investors' experiences.....im really scared i wont ever see that money again! Has anyone out there actually ever received full payments from GWD???

Are you based in the USA?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • migger02
    migger02 Posts: 27 Forumite
    I have invested almost 20,000 euro in acacia and coconut projects since 2010 and non of the payments due have ever arrived despite multiple promises.

I'm afraid more people having the issue with them.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    jammyjoe wrote: »
    I do believe ForestryInvestor has received some returns
    Scams (and I don't know if this is one) often pay out some money to early investors to keep it going a little longer and avoid negative press. Only when it's time to cut and run do all payments stop.
  • Hi All,
    Just curious.
    I know GWD is a "Forestry Company" but since GWD takes other people's money why are they not regulated? Are they not required to act decently to their investors by the government? Even as a Private Equity Company I would think that since they operate within European borders that above their contract (which is totally one-sided) that they have responsibilities to their clients to behave responsibly? It would seem that the game they are playing to constantly dodge payment issues and transparency would not be permissible.
    How can this be handled?
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    The regulator can't regulate everything. If you lend your mate £100 and he promises to pay you back £110 after pay day the regulator won't get involved.

As an investor it is your choice whether to invest with a regulated or unregulated business. The gulf between the two if things go wrong is huge. No inexperienced investor should ever choose an unregulated business, a message regulars on this forum constantly try to push.
  • AndyT678
    AndyT678 Posts: 757 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Red_Dog1 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Just curious.
    I know GWD is a "Forestry Company" but since GWD takes other people's money why are they not regulated?

By who and for what? If they're a company that basically grows trees in a dozen different 3rd world countries what regulations should they comply with?
    Are they not required to act decently to their investors by the government?

I'm not sure what that means. If it is a genuine business that has legitimately tried to grow some trees for you and ballsed it up then it can be argued that they have acted decently by attempting to do what they said they would.

If it's a scam to trouser your money and sail off into a caribbean sunset then they're already committing fraud and are probably prepared to ignore any additional "regulation" you want to try to impose.
    How can this be handled?

Sadly the only answer is due diligence on the part of the investor.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    jimjames wrote: »
    With many scams the income is paid out to you from your capital or from new investors coming on board. When either dries up then you stop receiving money which appears to be the case here.

Mainstream investments may not have a guaranteed value but they are at least protected from fraud and your money being stolen/misappropriated. With an unregulated investment like this you can lose the lot.

Bernie M did it that way
  • Hi,
    I know I have been duped and feel responsible for my mistakes but I have a hard believing that this scamming behavior is permissable. Trusting should not be a punishable offense.
    Has anyone found a good lawyer that can deal with the securities fraud going on here? I would like an attorney that can understand that GWD is trying to pass over the issue that they are actually an investment firm and not just simply growing trees?

Thanks,
    Red Dog
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,580 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    jimjames wrote: »
    This is a UK forum, why are people investing tens of thousands of Euros?

It also appears to be US based investors. None of the brand new posters have replied but which countries are this company selling investments to?

All those affected, where are you based?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • mejo2
    mejo2 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Stupidly I invested a lot of money with GWD a few years ago, I even met the man from GWD in person at their office, it all seemed good but from what I am reading this is a total scam and we should group together and take action NOW.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback