MSE Poll: Do you travel with or without travel insurance?

in Money Saving Polls
12 replies 5.8K views
Former_MSE_Sam_MFormer_MSE_Sam_M Former MSE
346 Posts
MSE Staff
Poll started 27 June 2017

Do you travel with or without travel insurance?

We believe travel insurance is a necessity for holiday travel abroad. Yet both away and in the UK - do you risk going without it?

For more help, see our Cheap Travel Insurance guide.

Please select the option which is the closest for your next holiday.

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Replies

• ljhhukljhhuk Forumite
    46 Posts
    I have booked a holiday in the uk & a holiday abroad for this year & have insurance for both but the poll did not allow me to record both holidays!
    Better a pebble given out of love than a diamond given out of duty.
  • SilvertabbySilvertabby Forumite
    7.7K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    It's scary to see how many think that the EHIC card is all they need.
  • I often travel in the UK and stay for only one night. The problem is that it is not possible to get insurance unless you stay longer.
  • TrishabTrishab Forumite
    2 Posts
    Third Anniversary
    We always take out an annual worldwide policy, but the insurers will not cover my partner for any effects from his (now clear) prostate cancer or heart stent inserted over 2 yrs ago - even for a premium payment. I pay extra for cover for conditions arising from high blood pressure and as his consultant says there is less chance of any problems arising from the stent or cancer than from my high blood pressure it seems a rather strange system!
  • worried_jimworried_jim
    11.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I buy an annual policy to cover my health needs + I was in Sharm 2015 when the Russian Metro jet was blown up and consequently delayed for four days so understand first hand the importance of good insurance.

Currently typing this on the balcony in Turkey enjoying another holiday safe in the mind I have good coverage.
  • I wouldn't go away without travel insurance - for me the risk is too great and I think 'better to have it and not need it than the other way round'. Generally I go for single trip insurance as it tends to work out cheaper, but I'll do a price comparison with annual trips to check as well.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • aliphilaliphil Forumite
    18 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I wouldn't go without insurance. Some years ago my husband was taken seriously ill on holiday abroad, and we were very glad to have insurance - I wouldn't fancy trying to organise and pay for an ambulance back to the UK single-handed! It was a relief no longer to be struggling with medical jargon in a foreign language, and he eventually made a full recovery.
  • TwopintsTwopints Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ljhhuk wrote: »
    I have booked a holiday in the uk & a holiday abroad for this year & have insurance for both but the poll did not allow me to record both holidays!
    It asks you to vote in respect of your next holiday so base it on the one that comes first. :beer:
    Not even wrong
  • odieukodieuk Forumite
    4 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker
    their was an article in 28 june 17 daily mail about rip off costs on travel insurance for those with pre existing medical conditions.
    the article advised trying boots the chemist, and insurancewith as being two very good insurance policies at reasonable prices.

the alternative is to have a nationwide flex plus account. for £10 pm you get annual worldwide travel insurance etc. (read the full details on line). if you have a pre existing medical condition, their will be an initial £50 charge, and extras when you do the medical screening. a mate of mine who had cancer 5 yrs ago, and has high blood pressure had no further supp on that £50 charge, tho do remember costs vary on age, pre existing conditions etc.
  • Travel lots so, of course, a good policy. Most especially for the USA.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK

MSE Deals