Like BT broadband but not renewal price

Options
Good evening MSE-ers.

MY BT package has just expired. I was paying £34 a month for fibre, phone and telly. But the price is now about to go up - not sure by how much, hey, why would a provider provide clarity?!

We only really watch freeview, but want the ability to record, and as we don't have Virgin cable in the area I can't see other broadband providers being as good as BT.
Oh, and am loathe to sign up to Sky as HATE Murdoch!

So, any suggestions? I am guessing just keep the line rental and broadband and cancel everything else and get a Humax box? All suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers!

Comments

• chrisf
    chrisf Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Just got my new bill through - gone from £34 to £72. :mad:
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I got a 2nd hand humax box for £40 from eBay and went BB only. 1st months savings paid for it all. Now have Amazon Prime as well with a few add ons sideloaded. Should have done it years ago!
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    chrisf wrote: »
    Just got my new bill through - gone from £34 to £72. :mad:

If all your services are out of contract then phone up BT retention's tell them you want to cancel as you can get same services at xx price .See what the offers are .
  • chrisf
    Options
    We have both a satellite dish and a digital tv aerial - so Humax wise, is there a difference in channels, etc, if you go for one over the other?
  • steveE2
    steveE2 Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you already have a BT Youview box connected to an aerial it will continue to receive and be able to record Freeview channels if you cancel BT TV.

You will lose access to any BT subscribed programs you have recorded.So no need for a new box unless you decide on Freesat.

Definitely call BT and haggle for a price reduction
  • chrisf
    Options
    steveE2 wrote: »
    If you already have a BT Youview box connected to an aerial it will continue to receive and be able to record Freeview channels if you cancel BT TV.

You will lose access to any BT subscribed programs you have recorded.So no need for a new box unless you decide on Freesat.

Definitely call BT and haggle for a price reduction

Good news - thank you Steve and everyone else :T
  • chrisf
    Options
    Thanks all. Just haggled. Gone from £74 to £33 for virtually the same service - I just reduced the TV package which we don't use anyway. Sweet.
  • steveE2
    steveE2 Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    chrisf wrote: »
    Thanks all. Just haggled. Gone from £74 to £33 for virtually the same service - I just reduced the TV package which we don't use anyway. Sweet.

That's great definitely an MSE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport