PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

SDLT - Buy to Let for Bare Trustee of minor beneficiaries

Options
2»

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,968 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    G_M wrote:
    I suspect that if this were possible, 100s of BTL landlords would be putting their properties into their kids names not just for the SDLT advantages, but also for income tax purposes............

I suspect that the costs of creating the trusts, reporting requirements, tax considerations, knock on effects when kids become of age themselves etc may mean that the costs outweigh the benefits.

As well as your tax situation now, you have to consider the effect on kids tax situation in years to come as well as what any government may enforce on your tax situation in the intervening years.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What if something arises like no gas certificate or personal injury to an occupant (eg wall collapses or floorboards give way) ? Who is financially responsible ?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    What if something arises like no gas certificate or personal injury to an occupant (eg wall collapses or floorboards give way) ? Who is financially responsible ?
    .... and who goes to prison?The beneficiary or the Trustee.....?
  • Benzene
    Benzene Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    It should be trustee! He/ she is responsible for finances and other matters...
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,428 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    Very enlightening.

Hopefully Benzene is aware of these intracacies (or at least, Benzene's wife!), has taken suitable advice, and will not end up falling foul of any leglislation.
  • SDLT_Geek
    SDLT_Geek Posts: 2,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There are special rules for properties held for children under 18 within the legislation for the 3% surcharge at Finance Act 2003/Sch4ZA. The effect is to treat a property bought for a child as if bought for the parents for surcharge purposes. As a property is already owned, the surcharge will be due on the purchases.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure