Moving after start of DRO

Options
Hi

I am going to start a DRO in the next few days - can't wait to get this load off me...

Anyways there is potential that we could move to Northern Ireland at some point in the next year. If I am still subject to the DRO is there any restriction on me moving out of England/Wales?
I know the rules for DRO's are different in Northern Ireland....

Cheers
M

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi markc1986

Welcome to MSE. Assuming you are a UK citizen, being in a DRO will not stop you being able to move to Northern Ireland. You will need to consider how your change in circumstances will affect your income and outgoings though, and whether you will continue to meet the DRO conditions.

You need to meet the DRO conditions for 12 months in order for your debts to be written off. After your move will you still have less than £50 per month available to pay towards your debts? You are obliged to report any change in circumstances to the Insolvency Service. Good luck with your DRO.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • markc1986
    Options
    Thanks for getting back to me!

Our childcare costs will increase slightly for the next year or so until our youngest starts school so yes we would still be within the £50 threshold.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure