Primary school homework

Options

Comments

• Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    Can you try to make the homework more interesting ?

Someone with ASD will only survive after school, by being more qualified than anyone else applying for the job.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    And don't forget they will be competing with children who had homework in primary school.

Couldn't you introduce the concept using your household as an example?
  • svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Absolute disgrace how much homework kids get .... Its just another nail in the coffin of childhood
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,047 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Saw an interesting facebook post from a mum who had written to the school to say her DD would in future be doing a lot less homework. She described how much was expected, and also said that it was on medical advice because her DD had become stressed and anxious about school.

A few days later there was a post saying "I am now home educating my DD."
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When I was teaching secondary it was clear which students had been accustomed to homework, more secure knowledge as each equation etc had been used more, also much better at having a go at things without adult intervention.

When I was at the school the average year seven pupil would have around an hour of homework per night, if my daughters school didn't give homework, then I personally would, she is in year 2.
  • lush_walrus
    lush_walrus Posts: 1,975 Forumite
    Options
    How long does it really take, as others have said it's all down to method. One of our daughters homework was learning about planets last week, quick look on U tube and found the planet song, she loved it learnt the song and now knows the number, name, size and how many moons each planet has.

At the weekend we borrowed a teloscope and as a treat we arranged to wake the girls up on Saturday night show them all the planets. They loved it, we enjoyed ourselves also and they all now understand a lot about the universe. We enjoy themed homework with our children as it gives us a window into their day and a focus of a discussion we can have together. We do far less pushing with our children than most of our friends. Our youngest who was given the homework is 5.

As others have said it's up to you if you think you don't have time to do it, then don't do it. If you think your child can't cope then by all means spend energy complaining to the school. But do this aware that other parents do find the time and are pushing their children's knowledge on and when your children are out in the world competing guess who they will be competing against...
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,156 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm surprised that the school wants a 9yo to know about elections, IME schools become only interested in their pupils knowing about what's on the national curriculum and if it's not likely to turn up as an examination question on a GCSE paper, then they're not overly bothered about their pupil knowing about it. I'm pretty sure this wasn't something my two (now 14 & 17) were ever taught because I took the pair of them into the ballot booth with me in the recent GE and they never said anything that any knowledge they had about the process came from school.

I'd query with the school about how much homework a child of yours age should be getting.
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Our primary school used to give masses of homework. Pages and pages of maths problems each week (which would leave both me and my son in tears with the stress), a weekly written exercise, times tables practice, reading practice and a half-termly project. We would be spending hours and hours each week slogging through it all, with much tears and stress.

Thankfully now the new headteacher is far more sensible. Now it's just times tables and spellings practice, reading, and a longer project once a year.

I'd have a word with the class teacher and say that your child won't be doing all the homework, and that you'll just be sticking with the reading, spellings and times tables.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If your child doesn't do the homework he will be at a disadvantage in the classroom against the rest of class who have done it.

Does he want to be the one who doesn't know?
  • alwaysskint96
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    If your child doesn't do the homework he will be at a disadvantage in the classroom against the rest of class who have done it.

Does he want to be the one who doesn't know?

Rubbish!!! Homework should be reinforcing the subjects taught not introducing new ones. My eldest daughter had all this homework and it was a constant battle. Children 2 and 3 I never made them do it in primary school- they were no further behind than any of the kids who had no other life apart from homework.

DD2 is now 22, got AABB in her a level;s and has completed a managerial course at work and is now a branch manager. She also spent an awful lot of time doing stuff with the air training corps when in secondary school- must to the disgust of the teachers who were homework and uni obseesed

DS 13 is in top sets in most of his subjects, will do as much homework as needed to not get detention

My eldest however was competely anti learning after that and at 26 is working in a minimum wage job after getting nothing about a grade c in her GCSEs. She is happy in her work and personal life though
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure