Partners debt

Options

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,924 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Let_down wrote: »
    Just thought that as he is my partner that somehow I may be jointly liable since we live together

No, the debt was accrued before you met your partner, he and his ex are the only ones liable for that debt.

It is only the named persons who are liable for debts, if he took further borrowing now, in his name only, it would be nothing to do with you, alternatively, if you borrowed in joint names, you would both be liable.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Let_down
    Let_down Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone feeling reassured now. I knew nothing about this and it came as a shock. I know of people who lost everything and ended up in debt because of their partner didn't really know the ins and outs as it was their business and they didn't want to discuss it. I was worried about this happening to me.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No joint accounts

I'd be inclined to keep things that way until such time as you are 100% confident that there aren't any other nice financial surprises to stumble across.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Let_down
    Let_down Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    No intention of ever going down that route
  • bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Received a letter in the mail with my partner and his estranged wife's name on saying the were being taken to court (in Scotland) for no longer paying council tax arrears. Obviously his wife does not live at my address. Mortgage council tax and all bills are in my name and I have no debts of my own. Does anyone know if I am liable. Desperate for advice

No you are not liable. Any debts will be for him and his wife to sort out. Your partner, however, may well be liable, that will depend on the circumstances.
  • Marisco
    Marisco Posts: 42,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Received a letter in the mail with my partner and his estranged wife's name on saying the were being taken to court (in Scotland) for no longer paying council tax arrears. Obviously his wife does not live at my address. Mortgage council tax and all bills are in my name and I have no debts of my own. Does anyone know if I am liable. Desperate for advice

You won't, but your partner probably will.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    It's not your problem. But it is his and he will have to pay all of it - they don't allow for it being two people, they go for all of it from both.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm just wondering why you opened a letter addressed to him and his ex and didn't just forward it to him, (or, if you don't know his address, send it back 'address unknown').
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    Options
    Are you married/in a civil partnership with the man and his estranged wife?
  • chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    I'm just wondering why you opened a letter addressed to him and his ex and didn't just forward it to him, (or, if you don't know his address, send it back 'address unknown').

I assumed that the OP and the partner live together, surely that's the reason why the OP was concerned that somehow the debt may land on them?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure