We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Ebay scam?

2»

Comments

• angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Mexas wrote: »
    Thanks I have made the adjustments. Do you also block buyers who Don't have a PayPal account?

I guess I'll have to wait to see if they pay.
    all payments made through ebay are through Paypal, so ebay users will have paypal accounts
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I wouldn't send a paypal invoice to just any old email address that the buyer requests. Keep everything via ebay and check and double check any "paypal" payment received from this buyer.

It is a well known scam to send a payment email to the seller so that they think they have been paid when they haven't. This is obviously more true for high end, expensive items and phones are particularly targeted.
  • kalsha
    kalsha Posts: 1,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker 10 Posts
    Angryparcel, why would you block "Are currently winning or have bought 1 of my items in the last 10 days and have a Feedback score of 5 or lower"

What is wrong with someone bidding on more than 1 item from you in the last 10 days. What am I missing here?
  • Mexas
    Mexas Posts: 152 Forumite
    edited 19 June 2017 at 8:13AM
    To wrap this up i got a message off the buyer late last night saying
    Sorry I bought two stuffs online today in which your phone was among , I'm a freelance photographer residing in Australia but presently working in the United Kingdom , I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience I may cause you with the description , I will like you to send me pictures of the Samsung s8 to email@dodgy.net)
    Kind regards

Fair enough i thought, but as it was late i decided to leave it until the morning.

When i woke up this morning i had a nice message from eBay:
    Hello x,
    We had to cancel bids for the buyer, xxx, because they aren't registered on eBay:
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Smartphone

We've also made it easy to relist your item if it was removed. Although the item is no longer available in search listings, you will find it in the Sold section of My eBay. For more information

So in the end it was a scam...
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Asking for direct email contact and more photos was a bit of a red flag and you were right to be cautious.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,768 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 19 June 2017 at 8:31AM
    all payments made through ebay are through Paypal, so ebay users will have paypal accounts

That might be true of new sellers in some categories but for longer term sellers we can still offer a whole range of other options. However I do agree that virtually no buyer ever chooses to pay by anything other than paypal.

OP,this was always sounding like a scam but if you follow the normal selling instructions on ebay and paypal the scammer would have had to give up as it wouldn't have worked. This would only have worked for a more naive or new seller. As above the buyer didn't realise they had access to your email account once they bought something and was fishing for you to give it to them so they could send a fake 'you've got funds' email from paypal.

For newbies reading this the way to protect yourself and not waste time, but still remain polite 'just in case' is to just send an invoice via ebay and ignore any other requests from the buyer. Then do not send the item until it shows up as a transaction in your paypal account, always safely opening paypal and printing labels from there will mean you cannot be scammed with fake funds or non payment, don't cut corners- always refer back to your paypal account.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • It looks like a copy-paste template job which the buyer forgot to change out the item name. I'd personally avoid.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,768 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Camman123 wrote: »
    It looks like a copy-paste template job which the buyer forgot to change out the item name. I'd personally avoid.

This is another old thread that you have resurrected , things do move quickly on MSE and bumping of old threads is not always useful.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Lisbon
    Lisbon Posts: 415 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Camman123 wrote: »
    It looks like a copy-paste template job which the buyer forgot to change out the item name. I'd personally avoid.

Are you just trying to build up your post count by responding to old posts?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.