PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renting with situation

Options

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 June 2017 at 2:14AM
    Options
    sensationalist language , what the hell is that supposed to mean..
    I note you have now removed the word dangerous from the title of this thread. Thank you as your over dramatisation was poorly timed, please consider this: the only "dangerous" situation your son is in is his bank balance may have a hit for a pest control bill, compare that to those in the news, theirs was the dangerous situation when renting (RIP)
    I have walked this earth enough years to know Bubble Bees from Honey bees. Of course its dangerous if one has to duck to get into ones door / home. It only takes one to start off then the swam attacks, I know because I have had it happen. Tampering would not be a good move by my son, as everything it would take a person with plenty of experience to remove the nest.
    Bumble bees don't swarm...but then as you know what they are you presumably also know...

"Bumblebees don't form swarms like honeybees do. But you might see a few bees flying outside a nest, especially if it's in a bird box or somewhere else above ground. These are male bees hovering outside the nest, waiting for queens to emerge so that they can mate. Male bumblebees cannot sting, and they pose no risk to you at all. Therefore, no action is needed to be taken for them."
    https://bumblebeeconservation.org/about-bees/faqs/swarming-bumblebees/
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So these few bees are going to save the planet, think its down to the human race to do that..HAHAHA.

It won't be so funny to your grandchild when there are food shortages due to the lack of pollinators. The human race won't stand much chance of saving the planet when they are either dead from hunger, or dead from fighting over what food resources are left. Hopefully not a situation anyone will need to face, but we can help future generations avoid it by educating them on what is safe and what is genuinely dangerous.
    Davesnave wrote: »
    ...pay someone to spray chemical insectcide into the walls of the house

Hmmm.... I foresee posts about dangerous insecticides being sprayed around near young children....

Love the story about primary school beekeeping :) I think you should find the picture and share it with us. My primary school headteacher was interested in birdwatching and maypole dancing... pictures of me involved in the latter are kept firmly under lock and key ;)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    s.
    Hmmm.... I foresee posts about dangerous insecticides being sprayed around near young children....

That's what I was hinting at. Every action has the potential for risk.
  • SnooksNJ
    SnooksNJ Posts: 829 Forumite
    edited 18 June 2017 at 11:05AM
    Options
    Thatys clever, wait till they sting then do something about the situation, bit like letting your child play with a Bull Terrier, wait till it does damage then act.. So these few bees are going to save the planet, think its down to the human race to do that..HAHAHA.
    Yes it is down to the Human Race. Which is why it's important for you to educate yourself on the importance of preserving the ecosystem by not killing beneficial insects, like bee's.
  • LuckyG
    LuckyG Posts: 226 Forumite
    Options
    Thatys clever, wait till they sting then do something about the situation, bit like letting your child play with a Bull Terrier, wait till it does damage then act.. So these few bees are going to save the planet, think its down to the human race to do that..HAHAHA.

Now that is a very good example of how uneducated and closed minded you are. If everyone had your sensless beliefs then the planet would be scr*wed.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Penitent wrote: »
    Honey bees die if they sting, but the OP said it wasn't honey bees. .
    Yes - OP said it ws 'Bubble Bees'.

These protect themselves when threatened by forming a protective 'bubble' of lighter-than-air liquid honey around the nest. They then reserve their sting intact till the threat has passed at which point they 'pop' the bubble around the nest.

If they used their sting to attack, they'd be unable to pop the bubble and the nest would suffocate.
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    Options
    OP, you need to get a grip, you're on the verge of being hysterical
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    OP, you need to get a grip, you're on the verge of being hysterical

To be fair, so are some of the people replying.

Not everyone tunes into Springwatch and Countryfile every week.

Why, I bet there are people here who've never kept up with the Kardashians, or who think that Kanye West is the man who selects the best pilchards before the rest are rejected....
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Not everyone tunes into Springwatch and Countryfile every week.

Why, I bet there are people here who've never kept up with the Kardashians, or who think that Kanye West is the man who selects the best pilchards before the rest are rejected....
    correct, correct, correct, no - he is a cowboy/gunfighter isn't he? Isn't he????
  • SuboJvR
    SuboJvR Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 18 June 2017 at 1:52PM
    Options
    Without getting into the ins and outs of bees/danger/what kind of bees,

It's the tenant's responsibility.

A wasps nest present at the start of the tenancy would be the landlord/council's job to clear, but wasps are not protected species, they are pests.

Bees however are not considered pests and they are protected. Even if the nest were present at the start of the tenancy, the bees are well within 'their' rights to not be forcibly removed. So, they should be removed by a professional for their safety if your son wants them gone. Call the council, they will likely have a recommended agent.

For info, in West Kent I was recently quoted £45 for dealing with a wasps nest. We didn't need it in the end as it was just queens flying around looking for new homes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure