PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

DIY Conveyancing

Options

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I noticed the typo but chose to ignore it, though a typo like that in a contract can have significant consequences!
  • TedC
    TedC Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry G_M I could not find the typo error you mention, but observations from the few return posts that I have received from the forum indicate "We have given in to the Propaganda of the Legal Profession" they input nothing to Society and dominate our lives indirectly and overcharge for their advice every chance they get.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    TedC wrote: »
    Sorry G_M I could not find the typo error you mention, but observations from the few return posts that I have received from the forum indicate "We have given in to the Propaganda of the Legal Profession" they input nothing to Society and dominate our lives indirectly and overcharge for their advice every chance they get.
    Loose instead of lose perhaps? ;)
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 June 2017 at 5:31PM
    Options
    The fact that you could not find the typo, even after being made aware of its existance, is a further indication that drafting or approving legal documents is not for you.

The last property I sold, I paid around £800 to my solicitor, and around £8000 to an estate agent. The solicitor paid the EA from the sale money. When I received his final account I felt hugely embarrasded that he was getting so little, for doing a skilled job requiring considerable training, yet he'd had to hand over so much to an EA who did relatively little, after minimul training.

You clearly dislike the legal profession intensely, so I doubt I can change your attitude, but I repeat - whilst I encourage DIY conveyancing in the right circumstances, in this case I advise you have legal help.
  • missprice
    missprice Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Your typo is loose instead of lose,typos like that in a contract can be a very bad thing. So the fact you couldn't find it even after being told of it means you should not be signing any contracts.

Re the bolded bit, I have never been overcharged by the legal profession and in fact have had quite a bit of free advice over the years.
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Out of interest, how much does conveyancing generally cost on a straightforward property purchase?
  • missprice
    Options
    Out of interest, how much does conveyancing generally cost on a straightforward property purchase?

I paid £1200 two years ago.
    A friend has just paid £1400.
    But I don't think many purchases are straightforward.

Zero wins 2016 😥
  • missprice
    Options
    Under the RTB the seller is the Housing Association (Council) cant buy from anyone else.

I can't quite believe I am saying this, as I am one of the people that has no problems with RTBbut,
    If you don't like the RTB rules on using a solicitor then go find a different place to buy that doesn't involve the council.

Zero wins 2016 😥
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Options
    missprice wrote: »
    If you don't like the RTB rules on using a solicitor then go find a different place to buy that doesn't involve the council.
    There are no such rules. I'm pretty sure the OP would win a challenge to the HA if it came to that. But path of least resistance will be just to employ a conveyancer rather than litigate.
  • missprice
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    There are no such rules. I'm pretty sure the OP would win a challenge to the HA if it came to that. But path of least resistance will be just to employ a conveyancer rather than litigate.

Sorry to come back to this so late, I did my RTB years ago and I had to dig out the original paperwork. At the time I bought my council house there was a clause in the papers about employing a solicitor/conveyancer. It states, they will only address any matters via the solicitor.
    Obviously I don't know if that's still a requirement but 12 years ago it was.

Zero wins 2016 😥
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family