how to avoid kerbing wheels?

Options
13»

Comments

• Cupcake_Returns
    Options
    Never parked against a curb since the day I passed my test, alloys are beautiful :)

Actually it's a lie, I'm now having to park against a curb in my new place of work, and I'm teased mercifully about how careful I am. Slow motion could possibly be faster then me parking, but hey ho, my alloys are perfect :)

I've been driving just 10 years and seriously I've always avoided kerb parking, preferring a car park and walking
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    d0nkeyk0ng wrote: »
    This. The mirrors only Golf are such that if I drop the right side down, the left one also drops. This means when I'm reversing, I can see where the wheels are going.

I will also reiterate the advice to go slow. I've kerbed my wheels several times (they've been refurbished twice!) and it's always when I'm in a hurry or not paying attention etc.

Both of these.
    Learn to adjust your door mirrors down and watch for the kerb, keeping it paralell to the wheels. Once you get used to the routine, you will become a reverse parking zen master! Do the same in supermarkets and other car parks, as many times as possible, to make it a good habit. Just don't forget to adjust your door mirrors back to the best position for the road.

People do not use door mirrors enough IMO: I use mine all the time.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • ozmusafir
    ozmusafir Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't drive it.
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    Options
    ..I've been driving just 10 years and seriously I've always avoided kerb parking, preferring a car park and walking

So you get dings and dents from careless door openers rather than scratched alloys. :D
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    People do not use door mirrors enough IMO: I use mine all the time.
    I'll bet you've driven vans, lorries, or something else with restricted rear vision.
    I probably use the door mirrors as much as the interior one.
  • CardinalWolsey
    CardinalWolsey Posts: 713 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 June 2017 at 8:01AM
    Options
    All the suggestions seem to be that when parking next to a kerb, to avoid damaging your alloys, you need to be going really slow - crawling if you will. And that, your Honour, is the argument for the defence.
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    Dont worry about it. Doesnt matter how careful you are at some point some !!!! spanner monkey will attack them with a metal tyre bar or even just drop them face down on the concrete workshop floor when you are having brake pads changed.

Only way you will keep them looking good is not to let anyone near them.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    I agree with everyone who has said use the wing/door mirrors. Isn't this what you are meant to do?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure