PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Income from Rent

Options
2»

Comments

• Conrad
    Conrad Posts: 33,137 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The Govt is in process of reducing the amount of mortgage that can be offset against rent - remember what the audience says in all those TV political discussions - that they are happy to pay a little more tax for the NHS etc. Well it has to come from somewhere, but we always want that somewhere to be 'someone else' in reality.

So think of yourself as a jolly good citizen helping nurses get a pay rise, after all we all say that's what we want.

PS I am a Landlord. My plan is to increase rents if possible to cover tax rise costs being phased in, but obviously the market dictates the rent one can achieve.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    24shaw wrote: »
    I don't pay Student loans fortunately, my employer paid for my studying.

Its the expenses part that I am now trying to get my head around, do agents fees count as an expense? Does the mortgage?

Is capital gains tax something I will need to worry about if I sell the house while its still rented?

Here's a novel idea, why don't you read the information in the link 00ec25 has given you? Then this starter for 10 on Capital Gains Tax.

https://www.gov.uk/capital-gains-tax/work-out-need-to-pay.

Once you've got your head around that you might want to read G_M's guidance for New Landlords taken from his Guide to Tenancies in England & Wales.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hazyjo, that is an option I suppose. I just worry that in a year or so I might want to settle down in the house again.
    It's the risk everyone takes when they move.

I'm hopefully off to the seaside this year. I'm taking the gamble that I won't want to come back to London and selling up. Absolutely no desire to be a LL with all it entails. You would prob get higher rents in the centre of Manchester so you could always do then what you're planning to do now - rent out whatever you buy and then come back out again.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • 24shaw
    24shaw Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    The trouble is, to purchase a flat in the city centre, where I want to rent is much more expensive than my three bed detached outside the city.

I have taken on board everyones comments (including the ones with hints of sarcasm) and I believe my calculations should be correct:

Income from the rental= £850
    Management fee - £68
    Interest on my Mortgage = £288

So £850 - £68 - £288 = £494

I then pay 40% tax on this £494 profit = £197

So I get £850, minus £68 fees, minus £197 tax:

850 - 68 - 197 = £585 income from the house. Enough to cover the rent and insurance, any additional fee's for boiler repairs etc I would have to do even if I lived there (unless the tenants are complete numptys).
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 June 2017 at 6:10PM
    Options
    The trouble is, to purchase a flat in the city centre, where I want to rent is much more expensive than my three bed detached outside the city.

I have taken on board everyones comments (including the ones with hints of sarcasm) and I believe my calculations should be correct:

Management fee - £68

850 - 68 - 197 = £585 income from the house. Enough to cover the rent and insurance, any additional fee's for boiler repairs etc I would have to do even if I lived there (unless the tenants are complete numptys).
    incorrect. You cannot deduct the mortgage interest as a cost, you are a higher rate taxpayer so you only get tax relief at 20%
    read: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/changes-to-tax-relief-for-residential-landlords-how-its-worked-out-including-case-studies

insurance would of course be an eligible cost as explained in the link. Also remember, as explained in GM's guide, as a Landlord there are some costs that are not discretionary, for example you mention "boiler", so assuming that is gas powered, you are legally required to have an annual safety inspection. That is not the same as a service

you may also incur the deposit protection scheme fees depending on a) whether you take a deposit and b) which scheme you use
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »
    incorrect. You cannot deduct the mortgage interest as a cost, you are a higher rate taxpayer so you only get tax relief at 20%

Incorrect. For the next 3 years, some of your mortgage interest gets 20% relief, some gets 40%. After that it will be all at 20%
    2017-18: 75% of interest gets 40% relief, 25% gets 20% relief
    2018-19: 50% of interest gets 40% relief, 50% gets 20% relief
    2019-20: 25% of interest gets 40% relief, 75% gets 20% relief
    2020-onwards: all interest gets 20% relief.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    saajan_12 wrote: »
    Incorrect. For the next 3 years, some of your mortgage interest gets 20% relief, some gets 40%. After that it will be all at 20%
    2017-18: 75% of interest gets 40% relief, 25% gets 20% relief
    2018-19: 50% of interest gets 40% relief, 50% gets 20% relief
    2019-20: 25% of interest gets 40% relief, 75% gets 20% relief
    2020-onwards: all interest gets 20% relief.
    not incorrect, the link I gave above fully explains the transition arrangements and should be read in detail. You cannot, as OP has written, claim all of the interest as a cost ...
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Management fee - £68

You can`t rely on rental income, it might not come in every month as planned.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure