Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

What is the best free website builder?

in Techie Stuff
16 replies 5.2K views
JoshyBoy_2JoshyBoy_2 Forumite
104 Posts
Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
Looking to try out designing my own website. I'd like to get a good feel of my idea before committing to paying for anything, long term.

What's the best free website builder?

Any good designers that offer a free trial period?

Any advice is welcome and appreciated.

Replies

• JoshyBoy_2JoshyBoy_2 Forumite
    104 Posts
    Forumite
    Anyone????
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    11.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    What are you trying to acheive?

Selling stuff, just a hobby club web site, new type one, art, photos, what?
  • As above, it depends what you will be using it for.

If its just a bit of fun or small social group then it probably doesn't really matter. Look at something like Wix for example.

If it is for anything more serious, particularly some kind of ecommerce store, then stay away from the free sites. If you have a technical background you could look at Opencart. If you need something that is easier to start with from the off, then look at something like BigCommerce or Shopify.
  • BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Ambassador
    49.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Ambassador
    wordpress is free , if you like the look then buy a domain and point it to it
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Browntoa wrote: »
    wordpress is free , if you like the look then buy a domain and point it to it
    Wordpress is a CMS and NOT a website builder
  • JoshyBoy wrote: »
    Looking to try out designing my own website. I'd like to get a good feel of my idea before committing to paying for anything, long term.

What's the best free website builder?

Any good designers that offer a free trial period?

Any advice is welcome and appreciated.
    Site.pro is one of the best on the market these days, you get a selection of free templates, most hosts will offer some sort of site builder to clients
  • dobymicksdobymicks Forumite
    97 Posts
    For a wordpress site you can get 12 months web hosting and a .co.uk domain name for £6.47 here:
    http://easyhosting.co.uk/free-hosting.php
    You can install wordpress with one click as they include Installatron in the control panel

They also do weebly website builder.
  • JoshyBoy_2JoshyBoy_2 Forumite
    104 Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks all - plan on building an unofficial website with news articles, fixtures etc etc.
  • jblessingjblessing Forumite
    146 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Another vote for wordpress. Plenty of free templates for every possible type of website. Easy to switch between them without having to re-enter all your info.
  • victor2victor2 Forumite, Ambassador
    6.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Wordpress is a CMS and NOT a website builder
    There are many websites "built" with WordPress. It's a powerful system, relatively easy to learn and could well meet the OP's needs.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Cheapest Christmas dinner

We've crunched the numbers to find the best prices

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum