yankee candles ....beware of the soot

Options
I love yankee candles but have just had to have my house redecorated because the walls and ceiling especially were covered in black soot from my candles! What a mess!
I almost always use the dark red spicy ones, don't know if this makes any difference.
Never ever will I use a candle again
travelover

Comments

• donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,611 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Also you do know you have been breathing it in your lungs too.

Yankee no matter what they say use cheap wax, the do this and do that it will not funnel. But still does. :p

Only ever had them bought for me and consider them rubbish.

Try brands that use soya wax it burns at a lower temp.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,995 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Keeping the wick correctly trimmed reduces the smoke, do you maintain them correctly ?
  • littlereddevil
    littlereddevil Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    Options
    Yes always use a wick trimmer and also have shades. I never had this problem before so I believe something has changed in the " ingredients"
    travelover
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Try the wax tarts - the aroma is more intense and you don't have the minimum burn time to prevent tunneling. My house is large and open plan and these are the only thing I've found that actually fills the place with scent. I did see a new product for smaller rooms the other day - a pot with a vented top containing scented beads - though they only seem to come in the popular scents.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,995 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can also get halogen lamps that go above the jar and melt the wax.
  • donnac2558
    Options
    Loads of complaints online about the low quality of Yankee now. No fragrance when burning etc. Sounds like using cheaper ingredients in the mix now.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Having heard so much praise about Yankee, I was very disappointed to find that I could only just about smell some, I had as a gift, by standing over the candle. Then a number of people, on a forum I use, said they had been long time users and thought they were less scented.

I complained and was sent a large jar , but about half way down this lost its scent.

I then had some Wax Lyrical , which were poor.

The best scented I've had are £2/£3 Glade ones, when on offer in Tesco.

Reed diffusers are disappointing ,too,but I had some gorgeous Wax Lyrical Rose scented ones (smelled like real flowers) from Aldi,.....that is for a couple of weeks after which they developed a horrible artificial chemical scent.

I now find the best scenting is from oil over a tea light. (Plug ins make one of my dogs and a visiting son,sneeze).
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jo Malone candles beat all the others hands down. Expensive but worth it.
  • bloss0m
    bloss0m Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have to admit in my opinion Yankee candles aint much better than candles I often buy in Home bargains. Had Yankee candles numerous times and I really struggle tell much difference other than price and the numerous varieties.
  • donnac2558
    Options
    meer53 wrote: »
    Jo Malone candles beat all the others hands down. Expensive but worth it.

No Diptyque are beyond fantastic. I wait for sales. They still hand pour all their candles and making since the early 60s.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure